A little on the residential side of things

I have a project that we started, which is 5 months in the making, and I thought I would post it because it shows many things about homes we would not general see as inspectors. My hope is this can be interesting as well as informative. I would like to thank Marcel for his encouragement and his suggestion on the thread title.

This project consists of converting a 1940s 24X32 ranch into a cape. We will need to install a staircase which will be difficult because the ceilings are less than 8 feet. We are also upgrading the electrical and putting it underground with the phone and cable, installing perimeter drains for the foundation and a new well. Hope everyone enjoys watching this come together.

I look forward to your follow up postings…:slight_smile:

All rightttttttttttt **Peter.:smiley: :slight_smile: **

Marcel :slight_smile:

Pics 4&5, I see the plumbers have started.:smiley:
good luck on your project.

:smiley: Bruce, I think they have a big vent.

And who says you need collar ties, got one whole side in mid air. ha. ha.

Peter; What are you building, a second floor gable?

Peter,

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Hi Marcel, Yeah, it’s going to have a full dormer in the back, 12 pitch in front with two skylight, A dormers were to much $. Chimney will be extended.

Those vent pipes by the way are the thickest galvanized pipe I have seen, they must be 3/8 thick and the gas coming out of them is horrible, I told the guys not to use a sawzall on them because I’m afraid of an explosion. I’ll have to rent a column cutter for that.

Peter . . . have a good time, looks more like “fun” than work . . . looking forward to your updates.

Well we are off to a good start, we have completed all of the demolition and most of the clean up, 2nd 30 yard dumpster was delivered. The floor has been re framed for a 30 PSF load and the stair hole is done.

We even had time to cook up some venison sirloin tip subs for lunch and tarp off the roof. Next week we will start framing the walls and roof.

Peter, those sirloin tips sure look good.

I hope you got this bugger water tight for the weekend. ha. ha.

Looking good. Advantech, made in Limestone, Maine. Good stuff. I see you used the glue also. :slight_smile: :wink:

Marcel, I hope it’s water tight too, never had a claim against me yet in 23 years and don’t plan to start on this one.

You know whats funny, this town uses the “99” BOCA code, I thought that the entire state of ME had accepted the IRC? OH well doesn’t matter, we always over build anyway.

Peter;

You know what? I don’t think that the IRC and the BOCA Code or ICC bothers us to much at our age, cause we have touch all avenues of the building trade and no what is right and what is not up to the standards of the Industry trade in the areas we were brought up.
These Codes are to protect the common laymen or clients of this realestate market that tend to promote and sell pieces of sh$t to people that do not know any better, and it is therefore our job to educate them as well as new contractors in business to make a fast buck only.

I strongly believe that your posting of an ongoing project like yours is going to be educational to some people as well as mine and if we can reach 1 or 2 , I think we have reached our goal.

Thanks for all your contributions and hope to see more.

We can all learn, including myself by seeing how things are done elsewhere other than one’s domain area.

Thanks

</IMG>

Is that what they did with the old Air Force Base there, Marcel, turn it into an industrial park?

Brian, kind of surprised that you bring that up.

Worked there and built for 6 years in in 80’s and went back a few years ago and swear I was driving through Area 51.

And to answer your question, Advantech has a plant in Easton, Maine not to far from their and Loring Air Force Base looks like a ghost town with the Public functions of Limstone enterprises and a Humphey either repair or something else.

Brings back old memories.

</IMG>

Pete
Good pics, we’ll be watching as you progress through this project. Hope all goes well and on time!:wink:

Like Marcel said, keep that tarp close at hand, I hear we’re in for rain all week next week…guess Mother Nature will be trying to make up for a dry summer.:eek:

And a safe, clean work area!

alan

Well I thought I had this bugger water tight, completely covered the 1st floor deck and it still leaked.

The house apparently settled in the center and the water pooled up and eventually soaked through the tarp into the living room ceiling.

My son and I where up there Saturday night until 11Pm covering the house with another tarp with the home owner.

Went back today in the rain and daylight and stripped everything off, completely covered the deck with TyVek and then two tarps before we got the water to stop.

Fourtunatly the water came in in the center of the house where we framed the stairs and that ceiling is coming out anyway.

Stay tuned, I’ll post pictures tomorrow if I have time, I’m helping the guys frame all day, then I have an inspection at 4:30, need to get the report out ASAP and then I have a commercial inspection on a 500 unit apartment building in Portland on Thursday, not to mention the 3 estimates that need to be completed.

Man, I wish I could just do inspections full time, life would be allot easier!!!

Great progress shots Peter. I hope everyone takes advantage of watching the process…It sure brings back many memories. :smiley: The very best to you.

Well, we got the two gable wall up this morning and the guys are standing up the back wall and installing the rafters.

I’m in the office writing an inspection report for yesterdays inspection, I plan to go back later and see how they did. Weather not looking good and we need a weather tight shell by tomorrow!

Good luck Peter;

Forecast don’t look at all in your favor.

Marcel:)

Peter …good post and Marcel knows you make me ashamed for not finishing build a house .
Now I need to find time to put it together.
I have no shame ,so please explain from your first set of four pictures how you are apperantly suspended in mid air and what was holding up that section of framing.