Anyone Do Phase Inspections?

I’ve heard of these and generally know what they entail but am just curious if anyone does them? They sure don’t seem to pay much… LOL. $50 is what I got for my last one (see below). I talked to a guy today and in the blink of an eye got him from $60 to $100.

My situation is I’m a 20+ year inspector but have moved to a new location and am starting a new company. The problem is I’m traveling a lot back and forth as I still own my company (multi-inspector) in the last location. I’m hesitant to really start advertising new company until I’m going to be in new company’s location for a while (which will be happening at the start of October). So, I’m spending a lot of time sitting around waiting. So… first phase inspection company called and I didn’t even bother to ask the price. After doing the job I literally laughed out loud when I found out how much it paid - $50. So, guy calls today and agrees to $100. Honestly, the money really doesn’t matter to me. There’s food in the fridge and the bills are paid. I just like the idea of having somewhere to go. It’s also fun to learn my way around the new area and have someone at least cover the gas. And it’s Maui so there’s really not a bad part of town :slight_smile: Or, at least not one without a really nice view.

I’m just wondering if any of you have done much of this phase inspection game. It seems that to make any real money you’d have to do a sub-division and knock out 10+ at a time. Do these companies just troll to the bottom for the cheapest guy? Fwiw, both companies have found me on the InterNACHI website which it’s nice to know I’m out there.

1 Like

Question: Are you actually doing Phase inspections, or Draw inspections. NOT the same thing. Phase typically pays $150+ (depending), and Draw typically starts at $40+ (depending). A lot of variables that affect those rates. Curious what companies you are being contacted by. I have dealt with many, and have FIRED most of them!!

2 Likes

Sorry, yeah - draw inspections. Nationwide and NW Construction Control are the two that have contacted me so far. Again, I’m not even doing this for the money. In my main area I’d routinely tell these people to get lost. I’m actually liking the chance to get onsite and see the way things are built in Hawaii vs. Oregon. And to have a reason to wait until 3 to crack a beer instead of noon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been doing draw inspections for a few years now, in Oregon actually. There are a few companies out the and they all pay differently. Granite Altisource is a big one and they start at $75 an inspection but I’ve have one as high as $300. NWCC gets you more localized in a area, new builds are $50, $60 for rehab loans. Land Gorilla can send you all over and starts out low balling you at $35 with a $10-24 hour bonus but but you can talk them up given that your willing to negotiate and play the waiting game. They usually don’t take a lot of time and your not looking for defects but just level of completion so it’s pretty simple.

It’s not the most ideal in terms of making a lot of money but it is fun getting to see some pretty fantastic homes and keeps you in the mind of building, especially if your pretty fresh to the game like me. I also get to witness a lot of new building practices which is fun.

2 Likes

How legit is Altisource? I’ve been communicating with them and I am considering joining their network for draw inspections.

They are the PORCH of the Field Services Inspection world!!

Total POS’s!

There is a huge difference in pay between residential and commercial phase/draw inspections. Received two checks today for two commercial projects that I performed last month. One for $500.00 for a gas station & one for $575.00 for a new car dealership.

2 Likes

Yep, $ is out there…just have to choose what you spend time on.