Anyone taken Video at home inspections?

I shot every roof inspection with the video feature on my little digital camera. Most (if not all) cameras have that ability.

At the end of my inspection, I would print out a summary (if not the entire report) on-site. I’d set up my computer, print a few pages, then direct the client and their agent to my computer screen. I’d hit play.

The first reaction of my client would be a little perplexed. Then they’d realize that it’s THEIR roof that their watching.

It’s just a big WOW thing.

Another application: I’d do inspections on new homes. My client would walk around with the builder’s representative. They’d spend about 2 hours together. I’d sneak away and perform my inspection, and shoot a lot of video. When my client was done with the builder’s walk through, I’d simply play the video of the entire inspection. Tell them I’d email them a report later. And collect a check.

Video is the way to go. “Inspections with video” today is what “inspections with digital pictures” was 10 years ago. It’s just beginning and it’s going to take off big time.

MOST IMPORTANT POINT:
I’d like to start seeing more inspectors have their reports readable via online ONLY. No pdfs, no print-outs. Your report is** only available online**. Then you can integrate photos, video, sound, and links in your report easily. The summary could be in print format, but the whole report would be an integration of many types of media.

Ben i would also like to see that , I offer both on line viewing and pdf, I use homegauge right now i was going to contact them to see if video could ever be add in to a report . they are pretty good in updating . We will see what happens.

I carry a video camera with me, and pull it out when I think I am going to have a problem with the client’s, especially ones who show up at the inspection and are nowhere to be found when I discover a problem. Recently I did an inspection for a woman, she followed me around for about 10 minutes, then she disappeared, I found her out in her car smoking a cigarette and talking on her cell phone. I told her when she came back inside that she really should stay with me, and wouldn’t you know it 10 minutes later shes gone again, outside in her car smoking again. I pulled out the video camera and filmed the rest of the inspection.
When I was finished she asked me what I had found, I told her that I would send her a DVD with the report so she could figure it out.

Maybe Dominic could get video in his software sure would be a nice touch

We’ve actually discussed it quite a bit on our inspectors message board with the guys and will definitely implement it at some point (more than likely next year). There are still a LOT of people using dial up internet though (inspectors included) so you’d have to make sure you either discussed the clients bandwidth with them before the inspection so you’re not wasting time prepping video and always make sure you take photos and include them as well, then add in the video.

Yeah it would be great but there are negatives also…
1)We all miss things on occasion and a video will show more detail than what is in your report at times which may lead to a client wondering why you did not comment on that cabinet scratch that appeared in the video.
2)I thought about taking nothing but video and freeze framing shots on Windows movie maker but the res is not as good ,it takes longer to edit,lighting is not always good enough with a flashlight.
3)If done in a software report it takes up lots of space or MB.
4)It would need to be a separate web page and in order to do the summery you would need separate software.
5) guys like me often use pictures as a checklist ,meaning every shot has a reason and helps form your thought process,but this would all change with video.
6) It is very time consuming to go through video and if I want to say go straight to a bathroom defect it is hard to bookmark in a video.
7) I take high res shots for storage so if I take for example a subject panel shot I can see if it is labeled ,breaker brand,bonding ,grounding,wire type,etc;(all from one shot)

I started shooting video inspections in 1998 (I believe).
I carried two cameras in two nailing pouches. Once camera for pics only; the other for video.
Some of my really crapping videos are still on my old company site http://www.peachinspections.com
I’ve seen a ton of inspectors using video on YouTube for marketing purposes.

My business model has always incorporated:

Force an idea into the market, and the idea-supporting technology will follow.

It’s all going video.

p.s. …and if you missed something in your inspection, but your camera catches it - fess up and take responsibility. imho

Yes i do believe it is the future, I like it I go over the video just to see what i missed , Still pictures no problem the cam i use takes about 1.2 meg still and goes to a sd card . you can shoot when taken the video with out missing a beat ., Best of both worlds. I remember when i was getting my 90 hours the instructor said he didn’t like computer programs and really did not see that much use for pictures. I heard he has change his mind . So keep a open mind boys it is a big world out there.

I agree. I think at this point though you’d need to distribute the report on a CD (or at least make it an option) if you’re taking more than just a few minutes of video as the total space adds up fast depending on quality.

Uh, let me get this right. Your client would walk around for 2 hours with the builder and when their done you are watching 2 hours of video with the client?

Home Inspectors in Cincinnati

No. My client and builder’s rep do their thing for 2-3 hours, knit-picking the place apart.
At that time I go and do my inspection of the house.
After we call get together in the kitchen, I play the video of my inspection, which is several dozen short clips, played together, takes about 15-30 minutes.

After that they pay me, because they see that I’ve done an amazing job. I leave, I write the report that evening. It’s that “wow” factor that makes my job easier. video…

I have been working on adding this to my services. I am just about ready to start. I am going to include a video summary on each inspection.

Okay that makes much more…
I was thinking 2 hours of video.

Any suggestions on the vid camera that can hold up to 3 hours (worse case scenario)

Home inspections in Dayton Ohio

I use a jvc with a hard drive built in 349.00

I saw a descent Sony with 60x optical zoom and still picture shots for about the same price , so it is not all that much more than a camera though my Sony T300 touchscreen edit camera takes about a hour high quality vid and can be upgraded with a bigger chip.

I’ve started taking brief (10-20sec) video clips of items that are in motion (deck post, plumbing leak) or are audible (“clicking” of siding, furnace noise on start up).

A quick post to you tube and link from the pdf and the client has a clearer understanding of what was happening.

IMO, I don’t see a need to video every item where pictures will do, nor do I see a need for pictures, where verbiage will do.

While the wow factor is nice from a marketing standpoint, if it doesn’t give the client additional info or make something more clear, its a waste of time to me.

I do a short video of the outside and inside In case conditions change , Or modifcations have been made after the inspection sort of CYA . Also if there is a defect that can been seen clearly with a video. I like the u tube idea Rick good one.

I agree that is a good idea, but is that the same as disclosing the report in public ?

How do you title it ?

I never assume ,but suppose you just make sure to avoid using location.

Stop the presses.
I may have stumbled upon the new way to present…

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=76cd9100-5481-4e35-8a98-781050f68e12

I didn’t see anything there about video, just photos