Architectural style or name for a 1/2 brick sidewall?

Anyone have a term for this 1/2 brick wall? Once I heard the term “brick water wall” but I am not so sure :wink:

Unless I am misunderstanding your term and/or question, I know it as simply a ‘veneer’ siding.

1 Like

???

https://www.google.com/search?q=brick+water+wall&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 Like

You are correct. But, this is more for my edification of terminology. I am curious if there is a designer/architectural term for this?

It has a very specific aesthetic effect. And, is it rooted in past building best practices that served a specific function or only meant to be pleasing to the eye?

The closest I have come is a brick veneer wainscoting. I’ll likely go with that until someone changes my mind :wink:

4 Likes

That’s what we call it up here.

3 Likes

You beat me to it.

2 Likes

Start with the basics…

Wainscoting Definition - What Does Wainscoting Mean in Construction?.

1 Like

Thin brick veneers.

Understanding Thin Brick: An In-depth Guide to Features, Applications, and Installation.

1 Like

Rowlock top course, or running bond veneer with rowlock coping courses.
A rowlock is a course of brick laid on the long narrow side with the short end of the brick exposed . The rowlock is similar to the header course except that the brick are laid on narrow or face edge.

I think you answered your own question. Might be a first!!

2 Likes

In a way I did but I was less confident until everyone chimed in. Thanks y’all!

5 Likes

Your link answered another question I posted. Good stuff.

The lower portion of an interior or exterior wall is the obvious subject of more abuse than the upper surface. Therefore the use of a material that would absorb the abuse was installed on the lower portion of the walls. This technique, like many others, became a decorating technique that has lost its original purpose, and fallen into the hands of the decorators.

1 Like

Falls into the category of “Chair Rails” in older homes with formal dining rooms. The wealthy was able to afford Wainscotting, the well-to-do got ‘chair rails’. Both to address the damage concern, but one cost way more than the other!
What about the non-wealthy, you ask? They ate at the table in the kitchen. They didn’t have dining rooms at all. It was considered wasteful. Every room needed to be functional for the working class people!!

1 Like

For simplicity for the client, I’ve just referred to it as the Header course. But as Robert pointed out, technically, it could called a Rowlock.

1 Like

Brian is talking about the entire brick system, not just the topmost row of bricks!
Also, his example is not a double or solid width brick wall, but a veneer.
Ya’ll both are way-off-base!
You and Robert make for a perfect couple!

1 Like

Gotcha! ASSHOLE!!! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :poop:

1 Like

Gotcha, what? 'Splain yourself Lucy!!

You corrected my thinking of what was being asked. In asshole kind of way. :wink:

The appropriate reply would have been… “Gotya’” as in, “Okay, I got what ya saying”, as opposed to “Gotcha, you POS! BUSTED”!!

You can go back to ‘handlin’ Robert now’!

1 Like