Architectural style or name for a 1/2 brick sidewall?

You Yankees talk funny and have really strange imaginations. It’s Summer and your brain should have been thawed out by now… :thinking:

1 Like

You are right, but now that it has been brought up. I consider that top row if brick on a veneer as simply as the “sill”.

But behold, the Masonry Institute of Michigan calls it a rowlock…even though no rows are locked , lol.

3 Likes

I’ll go ahead and get these resources out there for others:

2 Likes

I’ve seen it referred to “sill” when done under windows. But it’s a moot point based on your original question that was answered. However, whether it’s a “sill” or “rowlock” that extends the length of the wall, I will note any absent of an appropriate slope to shield water.

Do you see the difference?

Look closely at both graphics.

Rowlock
Brick Sill

2 Likes

I see that one has fenestration and the other has cladding above the sill. Regardless, I do not see how “rowlock” applies in the way Michigan used the term. It would appear to me they are using “rowlock” in a generic fashion.

1 Like

I agree. It kinda’ sorta reminds me of the generic use (by home inspectors) of Footer vs Footing! :wink:

Yet the question remains… which is the generic term? Rowlock or ???

2 Likes

So Thomas, what you was trying to tell JJ was that you be smellin what he shuvlin?
:wink: :crazy_face: :roll_eyes:

What is called if long pieces of stone are used rather than brick?
Similar to this but with brick underneath:

Or this:

2 Likes

Mirror Man 4

2 Likes

I am sticking with “sill” until someone changes my mind, lol. It can be many materials to include brick, limestone, concrete or banana pie :wink:

( I am also considering brick ledge, but I always considered that at the bottom/footer)

3 Likes

A brick or stone wall cap.

4 Likes

The BIA calls it a brick sill.

A rowlock brick is always laid flat and just the end of the brick visible in the plane of the wall field.

3 Likes

Interesting post. Thanks for starting this Brian.

Often I don’t know some terms especially masonry, that although I might not put in a report, is helpful to know.

4 Likes

The inference is still that Brick Sills are related to a window opening.

1 Like

Okay, here is the defect.

And my solution :crazy_face:

Rear side adjacent to the door, the brick wainscot top course (often referred to as the sill or rowlock) had a few loose/displaced brick. This may allow water to enter the wall cavity resulting in further damage. Recommend repair by a qualified brick contractor.

5 Likes

Dangit JJ! You’re right.

2 Likes

I would consider using “Masonry Contractor.” It sounds more professional and is more accurate in my opinion.

3 Likes

That was not available in my report writing software drop down menu :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Are you able to report on Hail damage??

Anyway… a sample of who to call in Minnesota (just a random search, not necessarily a referral!).

1 Like

Still better than the narrative that came with my free trial software
“In one or more locations the brick or stone masonry veneer was damaged, missing, deteriorated, displaced or stained. This can allow moisture to enter the wall structure or might need monitoring in the future or it might be a cosmetic issue only. I recommend further evaluation by a qualified masonry contractor so that I have no future liability on this defect(s).”

5 Likes