Attic framing...

Originally Posted By: mcyr
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

I guess Larry was right in his response that I would jump on this one.

Considering this is Maine Territory, I would have to comment that the photos indicated the fireplace chimney is at least 4'- 4" wide from what I can see in the photo.
I can see that the framer used a ladder truss to support the roof sheathing. If all else, the use of joist hangers would have helped. It does't appear that the proper clearance was provided at the chimney also.

The proper way for a chimney this wide would have been to provide a double truss on each side of the chimney and a manufactured truss at to top slope and bottom slope of the roof supported by a header on both the up slope and bottom slope attached to the double trusses with the proper joist hangers.

At the very least, joist hangers should have been used and 2"x6" ladder truss should have been used with joist hanger. A rafter cripple used in between the ladder truss would support the butt edge of the roof sheathing. Even though the plywood roof sheathing was assisted with H-clips, the solid wood support of the end joints of the plywood is still required.

One photo seems to indicate that the main roof trusses was complemented with 2"x4" sleepers to somehow create a shed roof of some sort coming off the Main Roof??
Insulation seems to be blocking the ventilation eaves at that area, is that due to the added shed roof?
One picture is showing the majority of the truss roof rafters and is missing the lateral bracing normally required.

Hope this helps.

Marcel