Attic Inspection

Although I am not a Home Inspector, I do have an interest in becoming one.

Here are some attic photos I took of the home we are supposed to close on, on 24 Jun.

I have included my own comments on most photos. Although I am not familiar with framing practices, what I saw has me concerned. Thank you in advance for any advice you have to offer me.

bic 4jesus uploaded this image to

Where are you located?
Did you have the home built for yourself?
Get a qualified home inspector to help you, now.

Did you get a home inspection?

As Larry said you should hire a qualified inspector to perform phase inspections, if it’s not too late. No telling what else they may screw up before covering it with drywall.

Looks like they go by the “measure once, cut twice” technique.

I am located in Murfreesboro, TN.

The home is about 3 weeks from completion. I did contact a home inspector yesterday. I am waiting for his email reply. If I don’t hear from him soon, I will call him after the holiday weekend.

I have been in very close contact with the builder’s superintendent. I am meeting him at the home on Tuesday. Pertaining to the attic, what terminology do you suggest I bring to his attention?

And no, I did not have this home built. I first saw it about 2 weeks ago.

My son works building custom homes in Colorado I would love to show him some of those pics.:shock:

If he dosen’t have a problem with this kind of work then you should walk or hire someone else as there could be lots more behind the drywall that you can’t see.

David may be able to help you:

David A. Andersen, TN HI# 40
Andersen & Assoc., LLC

Carpenters fist day on the job ?

David Andersen may be able to help you: http://www.midtninspections.com/

**Tennessee Home Inspections - (615) 406-6808**

worth repeating…

Holy sh*t. Ain’t nobody got time for that in the remedy!

Thank you for the recommendation. I sent Mr. Anderson an email.

You are very welcome. I hope it all works out the best for you. Try to talk with David before your meeting Tuesday.

And, THANK YOU for your service to our country, Mr. Dean! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much… it was truly an honor.:slight_smile:

Shoddy at best. Might explain frame wall movement causing corner cracking, from your other post. Some deficiencies in brick work and framing… at minimum.

Dave Anderson is the kind of hard *** you want on your side. It’s a compliment:)

To start with they need to take his nail gun license away! If he had to hammer all those nails to make that mess he wouldn’t be so inclined to do so.

Next he needs to go to geometry class and learn what a compound angle is.

Then he needs to go to carpentry school and learn how to operate a framing square.

Mr. Dean, I got your email.
Please send me the address by email and the builders name. Before I go any further I want to check his license credentials at the State. It may be too hazardous to even walk into that house to Inspect it!

There is no terminology in the building construction trades to describe or relate to what you show. You just have to make up some of those words your drill instructor used in boot camp! :slight_smile:

I can see what they’re trying to do and what they did not accomplish in your photographs.

Have your contractor bring the blueprints to that house with him to the meeting.

Look on the building permit (which must be posted on the property) and get the name of the building inspector that inspected the framing rough in. That is the AHJ you need to be talking to. No one else in the Codes Department will help you.

I will contact you when I get to the office later today.

You can contact me by phone at any time.

Thank you, Mr. Anderson. Email sent.

And just think, this is what you can see. How about what is hidden.