attic insulation

Originally Posted By: kharper
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_question.gif When insulation was blown into the attic, cardboard was used to keep the insulation from blowing into the soffits area. is that cardboard suppose to be removed when completed??

It appears to be blocking the ventilation.

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Should be kept there. It shouldn’t be blocking the entire opening though. They probably put the cardboard in in a way that would allow the maximum R-value right up a close as possible to the outside of the outside wall. This will minimize the potential for heat loss around the perimeter and in the areas of the country where freezing occurs, limit the possiblity of icedamming and possible resulting moisture damage.

Adam

Thanks for the reply!!!

This was a new home and the builder put the attic access in an area that was impossible to get into. When I removed the access door, there was less than 12" clearance. There is a mold probem in both the bathroms around the vents. The builder is going to install another opening so I can go back. I recommended to the buyer to get a mold inspection asap.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

There is a slight problem with that cardboard, though.

You know how you are supposed to keep the paper facing on paper faced (and foil on foil faced) batts in contact with the ceiling, fire warning and all?

Well, cardboard also falls in that same category as the paper facing. Think about it.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry, you lost me on that reply…

Kenneth,

This is the warning on paper and foil faced insulation.

![](upload://1fqIcWP3ZVOwslI6yUWGMTHv2nG.jpeg)

Now, apply that same warning to those cardboard baffles.

Is it any clearer now?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

I see, said the blind man!!! Thanks!

Jerry, Is the cardboard fire treated? Or supposed to be? I see the cardboard on occasion and have mentioned the fire potential to clients. I don’t go “overboard”, but i do mention it. I used to install insulation in new houses around 15+ yrs. ago. When it would slow down, we on the new home side would help out the retrofit division of the company. They did the blow-in insulating of existing homes. We used foam baffles with fiberglass batting stuffed under to block the soffits prior to the blow ins, at that time. This is if they (we) bothered at all. It was a pain in the a$% to shimmy into each cavity to put that baffle in, and then stuff the insulation around each one. I have since as an inspector run into two homes done by the same company, where no baffles were installed prior to the blow ins. Two houses in particular that had to have tear offs due to rotting of the structure underneath. They required the rebuilding of large sections of the rafter framing , and with installation of new decking and re-roof. The cost was about $12,000 on one, $14,000 on the other.

Adam,

The ones I've seen that I've tested (I've only tested a couple, but they all look the same) catch fire and burn easily. All they are is cardboard.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Thanks Jerry,

I guess i'll have to make the case a little stronger when mentioning the potential fire hazard.

Adam

Adam,

First, take one and cut a corner off, light it with a flame. If it burns, it's not good.

Then you can tell your clients 'This is how I tested it and this is what happened' First person experiences are the best.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Good idea Jerry. Consider it filed.

Adam

Thanks for your comments!!! icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif