Automatic air vent on TPR valve

This does not seem right to me. Want to double-check. It is an automatic air vent on the same vent line as the TPR valve. Thanks

Any markings on the “air vent”. And make/model of the appliance will also help us help you. You should be looking up manufacturer installation instructions while waiting for feedback.

1 Like

It appears to be a Caleffi automatic air vent. I typically see these on air scoops on the heating lines. I have tried to google the install, but have not come up with anything that says not to. It just seems wrong to me though. What is stopping this air vent from spraying steam out itself, or worst blowing its lid?

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Caleffi-502015A-MINICAL-High-Capacity-Automatic-Male-Air-Vent-1-8-NPT?utm_source=google_ad&utm_medium=Shopping_tm&utm_campaign=Shopping_TM_New_users&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8aOeBhCWARIsANRFrQFEoTB6QHuIV29LLx_t2PftXdrRgdW7x9XiSdsbs8Wx7zNfjuETDOMaAnvAEALw_wcB

Adding something is a modification or alteration. It may effect the performance and should not be casually dismissed. Once again, the make and model would be helpful.

The boiler is wall hung propane fired IBC model HC 20-125

This house is in the middle of being flipped with so many plumbing issues- double traps, no vents, etc. I am recommending a qualified plumber anyways.

I see the device is able to withstand temps upwards of 250F and 60 psi (which exceeds the TPRV) but like I said, it just doesn’t seem to function correct in my mind.

Basically, it’s an automatic bleeder valve, which IMO, would be an appropriate device for the application.

3 Likes

You always want to read the manual.

4 Likes

Gotcha, I got hung up on the individual device and not looking at the boiler install. Thanks for pointing that out. Now I know.

2 Likes

That should always be the first step in any research!

5 Likes

Funny how that works.

(Ryan, you read fast…I had just snipped that and was about to post)

3 Likes

Thanks! No inspection today so sitting at my computer doing some CE. Doesn’t take much to distract me from my studies, lol.

1 Like

Here is a question for the group. Is that condensate pump vulnerable?

I’m going to say no. The manufacturer of the pump, knowing it will likely be used for this purpose, would probably indicate in the manual if it required a neutralizer, in my opinion.

pump.pdf (5.6 MB)

1 Like

Giving credit here to 8 Points home inspection for their photo. Which got me thinking. Not only about the condensate pump but also where the condensate is discharged.

But in the end, the installation manual answers my own question.

1 Like

I hope you, now, realize that a PRV on a boiler is not that same as a TPRV on a water heater. Always check the tag to ensure a correct one is installed. In your pic, it should be a 30 PSI PRV, not a 150PSI/210F TPRV. If, and this happens, a water heater TPRV is installed on a boiler, you now have a potential bomb. Also sometimes you will find a 30PSI PRV on a steam boiler, that is wrong, too! Most HI don’t check this correctly or at all.

2 Likes

The Key word(s) here are… “subject to”…

I only see “plastic”, so I would say ‘No’, BUT… who knows the innerds of that pump !

2023-01-19_120327

1 Like

Given there is no significant length to that “TPRV” sensor/probe as there is no “Tank” for it to be immersed into, and without more device info, I generically think it’s OK.

1 Like

You “assume”. The probe is easily clipped and screwed into, it’s the same 3/4 NPT. That is if there is a probe. Combi units on the DHW side don’t use TPRVs, they use PRVs (no temperature probe) and are rated at 150PSI just like a TRPV for a tanked WH. Google watt’s 3L PRV or similar. If you take that 150PSI PRV and screw it into the boiler side, same problem.

Like I said, always check the tag, don’t assume or be ignorant, do your job correctly!