Bad shingles

Originally Posted By: LeRoy Tonkin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello,

I had a contractor replacing my hurrucane damaged roof, but I had to stop him when I saw the shingles. As you can see from the pictures they are not laying flat but are cupped up. wavy and warped.
Can you give me your thoughts on this?
Thanks, LeRoy

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/d/dec_21_04_a.JPG ]
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/d/dec_21_04_b.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: tallen

I would say you need a new roofer. That is the worst job I have ever seen.

Be patient though, people with more experience than I, will chime in.

Merry X-mas to you and yours. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jbehling

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif :

![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Thats all I have to say about that.

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

[quote]but I had to stop him when I saw the shingles[quote]

That was a wise choice, Now you need to find a real roofer and hope you're not out any money

By the way who in the world recommended that roofer ![icon_surprised.gif](upload://57CELbNgOav4I8DdysEp4jSUiyx.gif)

Originally Posted By: psabados

Quick call the Sheriff and have them arrested for impersonating roofers.

Paul

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Leroy,

Now that is one comical installation.![](upload://ow3y6OAlrG0HiqAFgo4GDRfr27f.gif)

Those architectural shingles are either used or water damaged. I'll tell you right now, if those roofers where installing those damaged shingles on my roof, they'd be fired. You need to stop that installation and get the owner of that company on site to evaluate the installation. What a mess.

This is what you want your roof to look like...

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

That roofer should be SHOT!

Jeff Pope would be the person to ask on this item. If I remember, he was a roofer in a previous life....

Originally Posted By: lkage

Looks like they were not stored flat before installation. icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted By: jpope

installation. The manufacturer of the shingles will not likely honor their own warranty with this installation and it will never look “right.”

Have him remove the shingles and then I would suggest you remove him. Hire a contractor that isn't trying to sell you left over materials.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: LeRoy Tonkin

Hi,

I want to thank Todd, Jason, Larry Franklin, Paul, Curtis, Larry Kage and

Jeff for answering my question. I’m not letting that contractor back on my roof! In the meantime I have a factory rep coming to check the shingles out.

It’s so great to be in contact with someone who knows what they are talking about.

Thanks again,

LeRoy

Originally Posted By: wwarner

Oh come on guys…

Don't you know the new "weave dimensional" system yet? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

It's all the rave for new construction nowadays!

--
Bill

It's only Rock 'n Roll.... but I like it!