Flat roof "Rolls"

Originally Posted By: psmothers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is a picture of a flat roof that covered a back patio. It was flashed to a gable roof with shingles. The rolled asphalt did not sit flat on the roof. It has “rolls” that looked like waves. The patio itself was a little shaky and was sagging in the middle.

![](upload://sbQzKzS2RpgCBqiW0RuGJNfjXZg.jpeg)

The roof itself still appeared to be water shedding and functioning as intended. What's the call on the wavy rolls?

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: CarlBrown

If you jack the middle up the wrinkles will go away! I am not an inspector. But the roofing is bunching up due to the sagging.

If it was your house wouldn’t you want the best!!

Originally Posted By: sramos

What are the spans for those 2x4 joists? Would expect to see 2x6 min for that application.

Is that a 2x6 acting as a beam in the center. It appears to undersized. Could double up the 2x6 or install a 4x6 beam to help support.

The roofing material will expand and contract with heat and cooling cycles. This could allow some ponding of water which will contribute the undersized structures failings.

--
Steven Ramos
EnviroVue Home Inspection
866-541-2883

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Steve,

Those appear to be 2 x 6's with a 2 x 8 center span.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Looks like tornado food to me! icon_smile.gif

The whole structure is a piece of sh!t. Tear it down and start over.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: psmothers

The buyer was planing on doing a tear down on the patio area anyway. The flooring was plywood laid on 2x’s that sat on the dirt. My main question was to the condition of the roll roofing. Was it a bad application or did it get wavy on its own? Is the waviness a indication of failure of the roofing material?

Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

I always call out wrinkled comp roofing, because that is the first place it will crack. It can also be a natural dam that can cause ponding. I don’t make a huge deal out of it, unless the wrinkles are large. I just say regular monitoring or inspections advised. Our 100 degree summers are murder on low slope roofs.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

That looks like poor installation over a previous built up or rolled asphalt roof which was not properly stripped prior to this application. As soon as you go through a nice warm summer it will fill all of the little valleys left behind and bunch up!

Others are right though, that porch is a piece of crap. Just look at the rafters pulling away from the center beam! ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

LOVE that new avatar, J.O.!! Nice Bet!

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Blaine,

I'll take the Eagles over the Pats. You up for that? I've got to use Bob's avatar somewhere! ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.