Basement Foundation & Crawl Space

Per this home inspection it was a block basement foundation and then I see this:

Is this a basement block foundation and crawl space. Any information will be helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

Looks like a CMU foundation to me.

1 Like

So, I have to ask, Are you an actual home inspector?
Many of these questions simply are some of the most basic items or readily identifiable components in a home.
Maybe you’re in training, maybe something else, but seems to be a pattern.

2 Likes

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear in my last post, I know the foundation differences, what I’m saying is have you seen these two different types together and why someone would change Foundations method in same home like that. Additions, etc?

Thanks,
Mike

Lots of reasons, additions are one of them.
Terrain, cost, design, lot layout, etc.

Since you were there, what was your impression of the area above the crawlspace?

1 Like

I see You found the Christmas tree…

1 Like

I believe there might be other things lurking in the dark down there. LOL

2 Likes

Goofy Steve was in there… … …

Mike are you asking as an inspector or consumer?

It appears to be a hybrid part basement, part crawlspace. Sometimes I see a full wall separating the two, sometimes a half wall and sometimes no wall like yours.

1 Like

Hi, Dominic. You may not be aware: New home inspector students going through InterNACHI’s Home Inspector Certificate Program are required to post essays on this forum. It’s a requirement for every online course.

InterNACHI® members should strive to improve the home inspection industry by sharing his/her lessons and/or experiences for the benefit of all, particularly those who are in training.

Please help those who would benefit from being surrounded by experienced inspectors willing to help others.

Thanks.

8 Likes

So is the OP a Student? If so he hasn’t stated that. He’s had multiple post over the last few weeks saying from this inspection, or today’s inspection.

They didn’t appear to be essays. Of course I could be wrong.

2 Likes

Well. that’s why I asked the question. His posts show an overall general lack of basic knowledge, and he never identified himself as a trainee or student. Perhaps you can have a special forum header for these questions.(If in fact he is a trainee, that’s not been established.)

I think that’s the overall gist of the tone here. When providing help, its beneficial to frame the response to the user asking the question, and their skill or knowledge level.

1 Like

Hi Mike,
One thing I don’t like seeing is what is present in your first photo. That is an undermined footing in the area of the black tubing at center-left of the photo, and I’d call that out in a heartbeat. I would have also investigated what purpose the copper tubing is serving in your last photo.

2 Likes

There was nothing out of the ordinary in that area other than the fact that it had not attic but cathedral ceiling. The basement foundation location had a typical attic.

Thanks Ben. These forums have been most helpful in my growth.

Agreed. I saw this just yesterday.

Thanks Darren, yes the tubing headed towards the water heater. What is that for, as the gas line is already being supplied.

1. What you show right there is called “treeing” and that’s a no-no. Each gas appliance is supposed to have its own drop.
  2. Gas isn’t supposed to flow through copper, at least not in my area. The hydrogen sulfide in natural gas will corrode it.

So Darren, the gas is already being supplied with the vertical line we see in the picture. What was the purpose of the secondary line to the gas line (copper is not allowed from my research)?

Thanks,
Mike