Bathroom HVAC

Is a bathroom reuqired to have a HVAC register? This is new construction.

1 Like

If the bathroom is not adjacent to an exterior wall of the home, it will not (in most cases) have a HVAC supply duct.

No. A bathroom in new construction is not required to have an HVAC register.

Regards,

Thanks!!! Guys

I am a bit confused. I thought that every habitable room was required to have an HVAC duct if there is not other heat source in that room? ‘Heat source required in each habitable room’ IRC 303.6? Is this no longer true with new construction??

Thanks for your help - I am actually pushing this issue now for one of my clients…

1 Like

Hi all,

the quick answer is that a bathroom is just a bathroom, it is not habitable space, neither is a kitchen both conform to a different set of regulations.

Regards

Gerry

Well, I missed on that one. :frowning:

Very distressing news to me though - I consider bathrooms a very habitable space on a daily basis! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the info…

Yep, Gerry’s correct, per 2003 IRC R202 Definitions - Habitable space. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

1 Like

Those of you with teenagers will need to post this information for all to read. “This bathroom is not a habitable space. Do your business quickly and get out, leaving some hot water for those behind you.” It’s official…

1 Like

Section 369.05 Kitchens, Bathrooms, Water Closet and Urinal Compartments
Every kitchen, bathroom, water closet and urinal compartment shall be provided with light and ventilation as prescribed for habitable rooms, except that in no case shall the aggregate glass area in each room be less than three square feet. However, where an approved exhaust ventilation system and adequate artificial light are installed in such a manner as to be in operation at all times when any such room is occupied, no natural light or ventilation shall be required.
(Ord. No. 68-A-67. Passed 4-3-67, eff. 4-5-67)

Section 369.09 Heating Facilities Required
Every dwelling unit shall be provided with approved heating facilities capable of maintaining an average temperature of seventy degrees Fahrenheit (70° F) in all habitable rooms, bathrooms and water closet compartments when the outdoor temperature is minus five degrees Fahrenheit (-5° F), without forcing the facilities to operate in excess of their design capacity.
(Ord. No. 2409-59. Passed 4-4-60, eff. 4-6-60)

Section 369.09 Heating Facilities Required
Every dwelling unit shall be provided with approved heating facilities capable of maintaining an average temperature of seventy degrees Fahrenheit (70° F) in all habitable rooms, bathrooms and water closet compartments when the outdoor temperature is minus five degrees Fahrenheit (-5° F), without forcing the facilities to operate in excess of their design capacity.
(Ord. No. 2409-59. Passed 4-4-60, eff. 4-6-60)

David, what are you quoting there?

There does appear to be some conflicting opinions. Are we sure that HVAC is not required in all bathrooms?:o

Michael, this is a state code. I didn’t have time to follow up on this because of work. I posted it just for the other opinion that some states have. I inspected a house yesterday and had no HVAC and no ventilation. There was a Whirlpool tub installed which is a major moisture source. I wrote that one up. The client are ready noticed this and was concerned about it. Code or no code it’s uncomfortable.

This habitable/inhabitable living space appears to have something to do with something else in the state law. Bathrooms do not fall under habitable because of their small square footage of floor space in many cases.

In accordance with our state inspection law we must report any room that does not have a source of heat.

The major issue is whether you can maintain temperature control in this rooms. As posted, interior rooms may not require a heat source because they will maintain 70° in the winter from the adjacent rooms.

Around here even walk-in closets have air ducts.

As usual, I think that we should just report what is there are and what is not there. We don’t need a code to substantiate this call.

I’m assuming thats a forced air heat/cool system. While it’s not a model code requirement to have a heating supply in a bathroom (local codes may vary), it is considered good practice to have one (along with very large walk-in closets as Dave indicated).

Not a good thing to have a very cold toilet seat in the middle of winter … :shock:

Garry;

“A bathroom is not a habitable room”?

Tell that to my wife and three daughters! The practically live in there!

Excuse me, but I certainly am a member!!

Ahhhh … it may not be “habitable”, but it is considered “living space” … so I don’t see an issue with that … :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Robert;

Thank you. You understand my pain.

Case closed.

Now, let’s start a movement to have all out houses ‘ventilated’. :mrgreen: