Bathroom toe kick register...

Originally Posted By: rmoore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is it allowed to simply place a standard cabinet over a floor duct and then install a normal register in the toe-kick without any connecting ductwork or additional insulation, etc? I thought this was normal practice, but, in any case, it’s not something I usually check for (that may change).

I've got a client "complaining" that her make-up is melting in a drawer unit (solid bottom, but I really don't know how the register is hooked up). New home. I'm doing a "twin" in the same subdivision tomorrow and will be making a house call after. One thing I'll check is whether both homes are the same, but I'm really unsure what would be considered wrong. Any input (code or improvements) appreciated.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: dduffy

Richard,

That sure is wild. So your saying they are basically just using the bottom of the cabinet base as the duct, with a register vented toe-kick ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

You would certainly think the AHJ would have something to say about it.

The house has air conditioning also? If so, you would think the moisture from the air conditioning applied to whatever material the cabinet is made from would tell somebody no.

Pre-heated toothpaste, Pre-cooled deodorate....the list goes on.

dduffy wrote:
... So your saying they are basically just using the bottom of the cabinet base as the duct, with a register vented toe-kick ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ...

I really don't know if that is the case...I'll find out tomorrow. I see these toe kick registers all the time, but I usually just check to make sure they have air-flow. I've never thought to remove one to see the "ducting", or lack of it...'til now. No A/C, but it still does seem wrong.

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

I’ve seen this before, there are usualy a few issues in this. 1. the vanity cabinet and or heat register were after thoughts differing from the original plan. 2. the batroom does not have a separate heat regulator and will still be heated long after the room is “warm”, but the room which has the thermostat is bigger and takes much longer to heat. one solution is to have a tin knocker make an under cabinet heat box to be insulated and still vent out the toe kick. the bathroom will still get much warmer than the rest of the zone, but the toiletries won’t melt. personaly i grew up in a house with this same problem and never complained about stepping out of a shower to a nice warm floor first thing on a cold winter morning. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: pbolliger

I have seen type of install too. I think the design of the bathroom layout with respect to register placement was not easy to do or well thought out.

The situation I saw made it impossible to check if ducting was added / modified to the kick plate louvers.. I doubt it was done since the entire inside of the vanity was hot.

I think the floor register (where the ducting enters the bathroom) may have been tight or limited for the installer. Perhaps the choices where to cut into a joist or limited access to begin with.. Bad design , lousy options or remodeling limitations is what I think is going on here.

Originally Posted By: mthomas2

Around here the duct has to extend to the register.

That said, this is the first time I've ever heard this complaint, if you can run the furnace it would be interesting to get a temp there - in a house with a mis-sized (oversized) furnace temps at the registers can easily reach 140F or more.

Originally Posted By: dandersen

I see it done on purpose all the time.

Check with your local Mechanical code.

Using a "panned chase" in wall and floors is out in some areas, but this may not be the same for a base cabinate.

Basicly they are designing a "supply plenum", just like the return. If it is properly sealed, it may be o.k. .

Turns out there was a sheet metal “shield” (pushed aside in the photo), but…well see the photo.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/0/051224B040cropnote.jpg ]

Addendum issued for the builder/HVAC guy to fix.

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jrupert

The toe kick connection should be a full ?box? or having 4 sides,3 ? x 10 or something close to this size, this is the requirement of most codes that I have ran across that they prohibit supply air to be ran in an unlined cavity or paned joists.

John Rupert
Accurate Property Inspections
Solitaire Heating & Cooling
CSG Training (HVAC Training & Consulting)

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

I remember this installation from many moons ago, and the joist space was actually used as a duct. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is what you are referring too.

Joist space was the duct for the distribution of warm air from a hot air furnace, but as it came up through the floor, a metal duct of approximately 4"x 10" as was mentioned, was used to transferr the air flow through the bottom of the cabinet and hooked up to a register in the toe space.

Conclusion of the pics. This set up is wrong. It needs to be wrote up appropriately.

Hope this helps.

Marcel