BIGCrawler 360, A New Way to View a Crawlspace

What if the floor joists are 4" off the ground beneath the house addition?

Yes because I have somewhere else I need to be. “That will be $600 please. Call if you have any questions after you read the report.

You said it well here!

I believe it was also mentioned that this “Toy” could not probe wood for damage, move any obstruction to see what problems might be behind it, can not use a moisture meter on potentially wet wood members, etc., etc., etc., etc.

The fact that the crawlspace is not safely accessible to a person and the Inspector must use a toy to perform a “Lick And A Promise” inspection should be enough for a client to walk away both from the house and the Inspector! But there will be plenty of Inspectors that suck in unsuspecting clients with the toys and call it an attempt to “improve the industry”!

I have people buy all Kinds of crap here , crawl space not accessible , Sitting on the ground actually , They way i look at at it if there is a tool that gives that extra insight on what under the home that better it is . Not going to get in a argument of what if’s. heard it before when any new technology comes out . People run their own business and how they want to do it . So how many nah Sayers where there on drones thermal camera’s Plenty ! Same as computer reports from the clip board boys . Is it problem giving evidence of problems no there is not .

2 Likes

Looked at another video of your inspection tool, looks quite maneuverable with high resolution video.

Maybe with some modification it could be used on steep roofs, perhaps even attics? The first would bypass the FAA limitations, could be a marketing plus. Nobody is going to open up attic framing for more access. Thinking along the lines of a tracked vehicle.

Robotic advancement: Hydraulic arm with laser range finder, moisture meter integrated at the end? Could measure pressure, depth of insertion and moisture levels. All of this tech is available today, just integrating the manufacturing. 3 D printing can help with production runs - a dozen to hundreds a day, depending on the complexity. If the ends were pointed/sloped, and the tools would retract into the frame it would be less likely to snag. Add in an IR camera option - partner with Seek? they have high resolution cameras at low cost, assembled in CA, so perhaps the source is even cheaper. You could quickly survey areas of temperature variations (potential moisture). Toshiba used to make a low cost transceiver back in the early 90s, it had an extra unused radio control channel. Cost around $600 then. There might be more channel capabilities with present, dirt cheap tech. If they still have the same 6 channel format, just add another transceiver and that would be plenty of control options. Add in side cameras as swivels are prone to failure. Cree LEDs coupled with a large battery would light everything up.

All the pieces are there, it just needs some one to pave the way…
All the best Scot

1 Like

I heard that is your opening line to boys and girls at the local junior high schools you stalk. Disgusting little peanut you are.

A techie friend of mine who is also a pilot showed me his collection of drones just this night, he became a distributor. They have really improved in just the last 2 years.

Scot, i understand your frustration, but no need to get personal. Manny is an extremely knowledgeable inspector, one of the best on this MB anyways. Seems like all the inspectors from Texass have got a chip on their shoulder:), maybe that is why i like them. They do know their shoot.

Frustration? First he would have to matter, which he does not. Mammy provides nothing more than comic relief to my day. He is a habitual troll who cannot control himself. Not the first time (and prob not the last) he has interjected his Mammy-O-Grams of copy and pasting comments into a thread. He will continue to get it thrown back at him. Once I saw his buddy had posted, I knew it was a short matter of time until he slithered in also. All part of his repeating pattern and so predictable.
I also understand it is tough being a little man in a state where everything is supposedly bigger. And having a chip also is undoubtedly wearing down those spindly shoulders.

Must not be much of a toy if the Toy Vendor has to resort to childish antics and name calling to defend it. :roll::roll:

Has nothing to do with it and all to do with you peanut.

And another copy and paste comment. It’s just really sad at this point.

I can see the potential of your ‘toy’, just like an IR camera can be a (really useful) toy as well.

Just a bit of modification and you would have steep roof, attic, crawlspace remote viewing with infrared and moisture meter capability.

1 Like

I have tested on roofs. The majority of it is 3D printed parts. Taught myself how to do so.

@sbaker2 this is great tech. Definitely agree with working smarter not harder. Although I’m a bit embarrassed to admit my affiliation with NACHI after reading some of the posts on this thread - this forum should be better moderated. @sbaker2 are you still making these and if so, how do I get more information? Thanks.
Josh C - RI

1 Like

Great point! I always make mention of this in my report. Adequate access needed for inspection, maintenance and pest control.

Hey Manny, they may have to cut a new crawlspace access hole. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yes to retrieve the toy that gets lost and was sent in to do the Inspector’s job! :rofl:

1 Like

Still a petty little POS peanut even years later.

Josh, I stopped building the 360 model a couple of years ago. I should be selling the all new BarNone version of my BIGCrawler around August, that is the current goal.

1 Like

There will always be haters. All hopefully a few who think for themselves.

Your crawler build has inspired me to build my own. I can’t wait till my parts come in and I can put it together. This is great!

1 Like