Originally Posted By: Beth Donald
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
I found this book, Become a Home Inspector, on the web at http://www.homeinspectionbook.com/ and wanted to know if anyone has any comments about it, or has read it, before I invest $49 in it. What books would you recommend for someone just getting into the business? Thank you.
Become a Home Inspector by Michael A. Pompeii, a licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.), Master Home Inspector, and founder of Pompeii Engineers
This 156-page business guidebook titled "Become A Home Inspector!" shows details on how to startup and operate a successful home inspection business. The book is an 8.5" x 11" paperback, is updated regularly, and IS ONE OF THE TOP SELLING HOME INSPECTOR BOOKS OF ALL TIME. Thousands of Home Inspectors have used the information in this book to successfully start and operate their businesses --- and YOU CAN, TOO!
This book is authored by Michael A. Pompeii, a licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.), Master Home Inspector, and founder of Pompeii Engineers. Mr. Pompeii has Bachelor's and Master's degrees in engineering, and provides answers to the tough questions that all new home inspectors have. This book focuses on a no-nonsense approach to the home inspection business WITHOUT SPENDING A LOT OF MONEY on unnecessary equipment, training, or a lifetime of franchise fees.
Items covered in this book include:
- What inspection equipment you really need. (Don't buy all those fancy, expensive instruments!)
- How to find out if your state requires a license.
- How to avoid legal trouble.
- Detailed step-by-step procedures for conducting an inspection.
- "Tricks of the trade" provided throughout.
- Answers to questions on insurance, accounting, and recordkeeping.
- What equipment you need for a home office.
- Using your existing vehicle for this business.
- What inspection forms and reports you need. (A complete, filled-in sample report is provided.)
- A sample "Inspection Agreement" is provided.
- How to price your services.
- How to conduct an efficient inspection.
- How to fill in reports. (Many samples are provided.)
- How to report (and how NOT to report) findings.
- How to market and advertise.
- How to deal with clients, sellers, and realtors.
- How to REALLY make $500 to $800 per day, full OR part-time.
- And much more!