Book Comments Wanted on Michael A. Pompeii Home Inspection

Originally Posted By: Beth Donald
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I found this book, Become a Home Inspector, on the web at http://www.homeinspectionbook.com/ and wanted to know if anyone has any comments about it, or has read it, before I invest $49 in it. What books would you recommend for someone just getting into the business? Thank you.

Beth Donald

Become a Home Inspector by Michael A. Pompeii, a licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.), Master Home Inspector, and founder of Pompeii Engineers

This 156-page business guidebook titled "Become A Home Inspector!" shows details on how to startup and operate a successful home inspection business. The book is an 8.5" x 11" paperback, is updated regularly, and IS ONE OF THE TOP SELLING HOME INSPECTOR BOOKS OF ALL TIME. Thousands of Home Inspectors have used the information in this book to successfully start and operate their businesses --- and YOU CAN, TOO!
This book is authored by Michael A. Pompeii, a licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.), Master Home Inspector, and founder of Pompeii Engineers. Mr. Pompeii has Bachelor's and Master's degrees in engineering, and provides answers to the tough questions that all new home inspectors have. This book focuses on a no-nonsense approach to the home inspection business WITHOUT SPENDING A LOT OF MONEY on unnecessary equipment, training, or a lifetime of franchise fees.

Items covered in this book include:

- What inspection equipment you really need. (Don't buy all those fancy, expensive instruments!)

- How to find out if your state requires a license.

- How to avoid legal trouble.

- Detailed step-by-step procedures for conducting an inspection.

- "Tricks of the trade" provided throughout.

- Answers to questions on insurance, accounting, and recordkeeping.

- What equipment you need for a home office.

- Using your existing vehicle for this business.

- What inspection forms and reports you need. (A complete, filled-in sample report is provided.)

- A sample "Inspection Agreement" is provided.

- How to price your services.

- How to conduct an efficient inspection.

- How to fill in reports. (Many samples are provided.)

- How to report (and how NOT to report) findings.

- How to market and advertise.

- How to deal with clients, sellers, and realtors.

- How to REALLY make $500 to $800 per day, full OR part-time.

- And much more!

Originally Posted By: tallen

Beth,

I for one have never heard of this book ,but that does not mean it is not a good learning tool.However, I seriously doubt that a single book will give you the knowledge needed to be a successful HI. Most people go thru a min. of 80 hrs. classroom training and 30-50 parallel inspections before they are even allowed to take the NHIE and most of them do not pass the first time.

I hope this helps .

I am sure a lot of other folks will post info on this.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jpope

tallen wrote:
I seriously doubt that a single book will give you the knowledge needed to be a successful HI.

I can flat out guarantee that it won't. But you've got to start somewhere. It may be that after buying the book, you'll decide that HI work is not for you and you won't spend any more money on your curiosity.

If you've already decided that you do want to be an HI, skip the book and get the proper education and training.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: tallen

Darn Jeffery I was trying to be nice. I agree with you though icon_smile.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: LJ Johnson

I’m sure theres lots of books on HI out there I’ve never seen, but I asked 2 veteran 20 plus year inspectors and 4 training school instructors. Nobody has heard of it or Pompeii.

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

Hey, you never know. In almost all of my reports I include a little 8 page booklet about basement waterproofing that was written by a couple of Home Inspectors in PA. (Yes, I got their permission). Some times these “one off” writers have pearls of wisdom that you wont find anywhere else.

The only approved text for the New Jersey schooling was an excellent primer for the EBPHI test. Unfortunately, it cost about $2250.

There is no $49 dollar book that will prepare you for this. Be aware that the schooling and REAL textbooks are only a start. A quick review of the subjects covered in that booklet shows that you will probably find all of that information here on this board. And here, you dont just get one guys opinion, but debate, discussion, and many varied alternatives you you can find the best way for you.

I hate to break it to you, but if you are looking to get into this business (or just about any other) on the cheap, you will most likely fail.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Book Review *0000 (one star)

Quote:
Thousands of Home Inspectors have used the information in this book to successfully start and operate their businesses

Clever sentence! Probably true, but it doesn't say they got the information from the book.

I got sucked in. This was the first book I bought when I was considering the business. I really hate to slam someone's efforts but all I can say is I was very disappointed when it arrived. A thin book with large double-spaced type. A few good ideas on the business of HI, many of which are just common sense. Very little on the nuts and bolts...about an hours worth if you move your lips while reading. I got a lot more from reading the archives over at Inspection News (didn't know about NACHI back then). Definately not a substitute for a good hands-on course by a long margin.

I will temper my comments by saying that I have been self-employed for the last 25 years. If you are starting a business for the first time you may find the book more useful than I did.

I have a very pristine copy for sale at half price! (Seriously...make me an offer).

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: rray

I can’t believe I’m missing a home inspection book in my library. I shall rush out and buy it.

The best book I read when I was considering this business was "The Complete Book of Home Inspection," by Norman Becker, P.E. I read about ten books before I decided I could do this.

One book won't give you everything.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

I have the same book sitting on my desk Russell.

It's a pretty good read!

Originally Posted By: tshields

The Pompeii back is a ripoff. It should sell for 9.99 instead on 49.99. I agree with the others…get Beckers book.

Originally Posted By: tshields

What about “Real Estate Home Inspection, mastering the profession” by Russell Burgess. What does everyone think of it?"

Originally Posted By: Steve Costa

I have the Pompeii book, like previously mentioned, double-spaced, 10-15 pages of a lame, cheap looking report, not really worth 50 bucks. I recommend Real Estate Home Inspection, Mastering the Profession by Russell W. Burgess for one, but you will need to read many to find the one that best explains what you need to know.

The best book I’ve read that explains houses is “Houses: The Illustrated Guide to Construction, Design & Systems,” 3rd. ed., by Henry S. Harrison, (ISBN 0-7931-2967-2.

If you come from any background other than full-blown cross-over construction (i.e., you have not built even one house from the foundation up to the roof, and everything in between), then I would highly recommend reading this book. It provides a very good background. I found it very worthwhile, and I've built many houses from the ground up.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Ditto everyone elses remarks…I have it and it sucked eggs.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

kmcmahon wrote:
it sucked eggs.

The visual is pretty good. Can someone create a nice graphic for us? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Russel…

Just this once!

![](upload://h1Wy8Vjbvs6NdaZ353BYQWtWiWB.jpeg)

Next time I expect you to use your imagination.

Thank you to Mr. G. Magee for sending me a copy of “Become a Home Inspector! A concise guide to starting up and operating a successful Home Inspection business” (all capitalization as done by author) by Michael A. Pompeii, P.E. The back of the book says it retails for $69.00

It was so interesting that I read the whole thing during my 10th anniversary dinner meal tonight. ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif) Sarcasm intended. Significant other was not too pleased.

I can always tell when something is by an amateur in a field in which he should not be writing. In this case, it is a self-published book (Pompeii Publications) probably because no reputable pulbisher would publish such trash. If you need some humor in your life, this is a good read. However, if you need some humor in your life, and have to resort to this book, you probably need more than just humor in your life. And besides, you can probably get better humor less expensively at your local Comedy Club.

The 1?-margins with 12-point font on 24-point leading indicates that he had just got his first copy of Word and had no idea how to reset the defaults. That's been one of the problems with computers and software. Proportional fonts has caused even the dumbest of the dumb to think that they are a professional publisher now. Publishing is kind of like home inspecting; ain't quite as simple as some make it sound.

At least he referenced in Appendix A some books much better than his.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Ken Larson

I also have that book by Pompeii…trash it! Absolutely useless.

However the book by Burgess is excellent. We used it as a text for a Home Inspection course I attended at Austin Community College (ACC)

It's often referred to as the "Bible" of home inspections......well, at least that's what the class instructor said. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Thanks!

--
Kenneth Larson
Austin Structural Inspections
larson@austin.rr.com
www.austinstructural.com

Burgess’s book is probably my favorite that is actually about home inspection. He did a good job. Should be required reading for everyone, experienced and inexperienced. There’s probably some stuff in there that even the experienced aren’t doing or noting or don’t know.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.