Brick name?

Is there a name for this type of brick used in the 1950’s?

I believe these bricksare “pressed” patterned unless there is a glaze applied that I can’t determine from the photo.

No glazing. I thought that I heard it called some name, of course it my be a local thing, a long time ago.
Thank you Barry.

You’re probably right that they may have a different name, I’m not a mason although I have installed some brick, block, and stone in my time…creating stone patios and fountain/waterfalls for pools was the best I could ever muster.

My wall work looked liked what one could only imagine or describe as a really bad acid trip. They all had that undulating wavy op-art effect going on at the joints and surfaces.

Great description of the brick laying. I can relate.

My first thought was Prairie stone.
I believe Frank loyd Wright used this type on occasion.
Hard to tell from the picture, but that is not slate right?

Not Slate, here is another larger picture.

Very reminiscent of some of Wright’s brickwork. On the Robie and Heller houses he called it “Roman Brick”. Wright’s style was prairie style, but prairie brick is huge bricks.

Michael A., the brick you show doesn’t look like a finish brick to me. Below is an example of what Marc mentioned.**

Roman brick and tiles used on exterior and interior.

Michael L. it has about the same dimensions of roman brick, yet not finished as you mentioned. It was in pretty good shape for its age.

It sure does scream 50’s though, doesn’t it? :slight_smile:

The owner mentioned tha the builder of the plan still lives in the neighborhood. I may track him down and hopefully speak to him about the product.

It reminds of some demolished walls I seen where a rough surface brick or terra cota was plastered over for the finish surface. Maybe there was plaster over this at one time.

Michael L. the entire exterior is of this material.

Any chance it was stuccoed at one time?