Brutal marketing tips for generating inspection work online.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/brutal.htm

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

All help appreciated.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: bking

Looks good with a quick reading. You need to spell check, saw these misspelled words in there: onw qualificaions

www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: jmichalski

Good catch, Bruce. I saw these: "manhy of " in the 4th line under Preface, and “pretty onw” in the 6th line under “not a TV”.

Nick, I know many people get on you about your advertising approach, but I think the article is a sobering look at the function of a website. I understand that repetition is the heart and soul of marketing, but I think if you are looking to condense the article some you might consider shortening the prose somewhat under each heading. The headings are effective and short descriptions will underscore the point without further explanation.

I think it should be considered that the pitch and contact information can be given on every page, as opposed to redirecting links, or the "continue" which few people may opt to use if they want quick answers and prices. This allows for useful links to exist with the added benefit that those links further reinforce your pitch, and contact information is always handy. Logos at the bottom of the page are nice, but contact information is vital. (incidentally just realized this is a shortcoming on several pages in my own site and will be adding such information tomorrow!)

Also, you may want to reconsider the following:
Quote:
"don?t insert blank lines between paragraphs. Otherwise a blank space might happen to land at the bottom of the visitor?s screen making it appear to be the end of the text. A continuous body of text will allow visitors to realize they should scroll to reach the end.

Blank lines between paragraphs make them more readable and presentable. I have yet to meet anyone savvy enough to do online searches for real estate and home inspectors who is puzzled by the bar and arrows on the left side of the page indicating more text below.

Finally, some mention of simple proofreading, easy to read fonts and market testing websites could be helpful to reinforce your primary points, as misspelled words and scrolling fonts could turn off readers. Asking others to find and navigate the site as if they were home buyers looking to book an inspection is an excellent learning experience.

Just my 2 cents, since you asked....

Thanks!

One way I analyze a site is to watch a family member who has never visited it before to look at it. I ask the guinea pig to move the curser around to whatever he/she is looking at so I can see what he/she is looking at and reading.

It is interesting to see where first time visitors go first on a homepage, what they read, and what they click.

Then ask your guinea pig... why?

You can learn a lot.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: rharrington

I am going to build my website as soon as my logo is finished. I’ve done many web site designs… but I will go right by the book on this and see where it takes me.

Can't hurt.

Thanks for the brutal information.

Rick

--
Rick A. Harrington
Central Ohio Home Inspections
www.patchhomeinspections.com

Let us know when it is done so we can test drive it. Bunch in http://www.nachi.org/websites.htm too.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: lewens

Nick

The only comment I have is on your suggestion to have links on pages taking to the nachi home page or three things that matter or a link to standards of practice etc. I have found that if you give someone the opportunity to hit a link with more info they have a tendency to stay on that site a look around instead of going back to the site that sent them there in the first place. I know I am guilty of this when I am directed to another site and see something of interest.

Just my 12.5 cents

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Larry,

Make sure that any external links open in a new window (target="_blank") so that when they're done with NACHI your Web site is still up.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://dCPsGqhdTkbCfhhEpdZn4WFCUhO.html)

Originally Posted By: lewens

Chris

Thank you for the tip but I am not that I.T. inclined, I will send you an email so you can tutor me along.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Very good article, Nick. Thanks.

Home Inspection Services of Missouri

www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

" when you really meant sheer - a couple of times.

Again, thank you for the support you provide. NACHI actually pumps the inspector to do a better job and provide a better service.

--
Exploring Planet NACHI . . . One house at a time.

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.
Coeur d'Alene, ID Home Inspectors
Coeur d'Alene Home Inspectors

Originally Posted By: rharrington

Quote:
Code:
<A href="http://www.nachi.org/gallery/" target="_blank"> Inspection Photo Gallery      </A>

hope this helps

--
Rick A. Harrington
Central Ohio Home Inspections
www.patchhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Nick,

When will we see your follow-up to this article?

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: dnice

Some good pointers there. I have not yet put up my web site so I guess I have no excuse now for leaving only a splash page up with my phone number.

You might want to include some technical tips (if someone wants to contribute some). It is important to put a contact page that emails a completed form to you. Placing the actual email address on web pages or links that open one's email program leave you open to tons of spam. It is good to try to keep a business email address "pure".

There are "bots" that scour the Internet for email address to exploit.

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

dnice wrote:
Placing the actual email address on web pages or links that open one's email program leave you open to tons of spam. It is good to try to keep a business email address "pure".

There are "bots" that scour the Internet for email address to exploit.

Good points - Thanks, David!

--
Exploring Planet NACHI . . . One house at a time.

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.
Coeur d'Alene, ID Home Inspectors
Coeur d'Alene Home Inspectors