Web sites for my home inspection. Does it pay off?

Originally Posted By: kluce
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In this area, I have noticed that most of my jobs come from Realtors, next phone book, and last referrals.

I know that I look on the internet to find out more information about a companies or product. I am looking at getting a web site. I have found that some of the advertising that never paned out.

How much business do you all get from the internet?

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I use my website as a reference for clients and a place for them to pick up reports. I also think that as most HI’s go. We don’t really on our websites for business. I think that it is good to have but don’t expect to get a lot of business. I think that I paid 7.99 to register my domain, and 23.50 a year for the server space. With four email addresses

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I agree with Gary about the business end of the website.

I have never had one, and never had a shortage of business. (until now when I am starting new in a new state). A good friend of mine in NJ has a very good website, www.allenbuildinginspections.com, has been in business with the website since 1997 and last time I spoke with him he said he has never gotten an inspection from the web. He uses it mostly for client info, and to tell people about himself and his company.

I think they are good for information, and maybe as Gary uses his for reports. My business has always come from Realtors 95% and referrals 5%. Seldom from the Yellow Pages. I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, but that is mainly because the fossils who live in my area are about as computer literate as the man in the moon ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Blaine

bwiley wrote:

I think they are good for information, and maybe as Gary uses his for reports. My business has always come from Realtors 95% and referrals 5%. Seldom from the Yellow Pages. I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, but that is mainly because the fossils who live in my area are about as computer literate as the man in the moon ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Blaine

Gary,

How often does your clients go to the web site to get the report. I email the report to the realtor, if ok with client, and give the report to the client at the job site about 95% of the time. I use a tablet PC that I love and then print it. It takes about a half an hour in most cases with pictures.

The phone book has paid for itself many times over in this area. I am very pleased with it.

A few times. I find that is also works good for clients who for some reason have lost their report and want a copy of it.

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: dbush

I recently got a website from Chris and I think that the ability of the client to download the report has been worth every dime. I don’t have to drive all over the place, I don’t have to worry about e-mailing the report and the pictures not coming out where they are supposed to (A software problem with emailing), etc. I have one client, I did the inspection on Tuesday, they had the report Tuesday evening and that report has been downloaded 12 times as of this morning.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

There are a few things to note.

Though you might not see jobs coming directly from your website via an online order form, people with web sites are more likely to grab a client that was browsing inspector listings such as FindAnInspector.US. In the past day or two, hundreds of our members have had their website viewed, often more than once or twice. People (particularly younger clients) like to research on the internet. If you don't have something for them to look at, they're much less likely to pick you. Would you rather take a stab in the dark with Mr. Joe Inspector, or would you choose someone who has a very professional and helpful website? It lets your prospective clients get to know you a little bit, even if they then e-mail you through FindAnInspector.US or call you on the phone.

If you offer downloadable reports, this can be big selling point. One, It makes you look more cutting edge in terms of technology. Two, it's very convenient for most people. Telling them, "Tonight you will able to go to my website, put in this username and password, and download your report" is much better than "You'll receive your report in a couple of days in the mail."

Lastly, a really nice inspection website only needs to cost you a few hundred dollars. If you get one or two inspections through it, it's already paid for itself. If for some reason you decide that it's not worth keeping up, you can always just scrap it. I don't think I've ever seen this happen (at least to a well-done, professionally designed site).

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://2EnF3HLAUQcF0vGxbxZ714vN2RX.html)

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Check out some websites-of-the-month for fun near the bottom of http://www.nachi.org/whats_new.htm

Nick

Originally Posted By: jpope

I check my stats daily for my web site. FindAnInspector.us has directed 24 viewers to my site this month alone. Of these, I’ve booked and performed 4 inspections. Do the math.

NACHI Membership + web site = 4 additional inspections for October

I got 2 the same way in September. I've got one booked already for November as a result of NACHI and my web site.

Is it worth it? Hmmm. ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Jeff, I’m truely dissapointed for you that you are getting such a terrible return on your investment in NACHI and your web site, only 6 inspections from that source in the last 2 months, you must be beside yourself icon_biggrin.gif

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jpope

Gerry,

It's a terrible thing, isn't it? ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

I do understand what Chris is saying. After all I am one of thoes techy people that use the web for everything. I come from a technology background and still do a lot of IT work. So I feel the need to research everything on the NET. Hell, I even use the web to order my pizza. I think that if you are going to have a web site, make sure that it is a great tool promoting your business. Treat it the same as you would any brochure or any other marketing material. I have booked two inspections for my company as a result of someone finding my website from another place that I have it listed. So figured 650 from the two inspections. Minus the $30.00 that I had to pay to have my website for the year. Is pretty good to me.

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

gjohnson wrote:
So figured 650 from the two inspections. Minus the $30.00 that I had to pay to have my website for the year. Is pretty good to me.

$30.00? What is the average cost of a really nice web site with the features that are listed above. I like to do as much on my own. I found this causes less problems on what I think is good.

The first year, I tried to go local on insurance. BIG MISTAKE going local. I'm wondering if going with a local company for a web site will have the same results. I'm going to look into it.

Kevin,

I do a lot a inspections sites with uploadable reports and a page editing system much like MS Word (you log in and edit the pages in a WYSIWYG editor). Take a look at:

http://www.1stChoiceHomeInspection.com
http://www.Square-OneInspection.com
http://www.FinalInspections.com
http://www.BBProperty.com
http://www.Pro-Spect.biz
(E-Mail me for more client sites)

NACHI members get a discount depending on the scale of the project (often around $50). E-mail me with a little more about what you're interested in, and I'll send you a quote.

--
Chris Morrell

![](upload://b7aLa47QmHgY01rmnd3Q08YBNpF.html)

Once the web page is made, how much would it cost me monthly? I called a few places but today was the wrong day. Halloween icon_evil.gif

I am not sure what kind of servers Chris prefers to use when hosting his site. However my site cost me 23.50 for the year. And was way more then I needed for it.

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hello Kevin,

If you design your site to work with the rest of your business it come become a very important piece of the pie. I spend around 700.00 per year on my site and it is the best money I spend to promote my services. Just remember that your site will always be a work in progress. I will be starting the fourth revision to mine shortly. I wish I would have known Chris 5 years ago.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Kevin,

I charge $12.95/mo. for standard hosting, or 13.95/mo. for hosting with a domain name included. The more advanced websites (uploadable reports and online editing) require PHP and MySQL to run, so any old host won't do. You're free to go with another hosting provider, though, as long as it can handle PHP & MySQL.

My network has guaranteed 99.9% uptime, with multiple redundant connections. Full-featured control panels available. The whole works.

--
Chris Morrell

![](upload://b7aLa47QmHgY01rmnd3Q08YBNpF.html)

Webmaster wrote:
Kevin,

I charge $12.95/mo. for standard hosting, or 13.95/mo. for hosting with a domain name included. The more advanced websites (uploadable reports and online editing) require PHP and MySQL to run, so any old host won't do. You're free to go with another hosting provider, though, as long as it can handle PHP & MySQL.

13.95/mo for hosting with a domain name sounds fine. What is the average cost of making up the web page? I have learned to keep wording simple and short. The look of it is important and I know what I would like to include that has helped me get jobs around here. There would be 5 pages but suggestions once seen would be great.

Is the uploadable reports and online editing included in the monthly fee?