Can anyone tell me what this is and tell me if it is a defect?

I have this little grey box wired in with the SEC cables and I am not sure what it is. I was wondering if anyone could help me and is this a defect being wired in with the SEC cables?

1 Like

Surge arrester. Yes. It’s improperly installed.

2 Likes

Thank you for letting me know that, could you tell me how it should properly be installed or why this one is improperly installed?

I agree with Chuck.
As for your next question(s)… forget that you can visually see a ‘grey box’ and the wires went directly into the wall somewhere (assuming a circuit and not a component). How would you respond/report that?

1 Like

Sorry I am not following.

Post Deleted.

Are those all EGC’s bundled under a single lug?

Well, if they are, we know that is wrong. :smile:

Not in Ohio! and! they are double lugged, not tapped! always remember this, Larry! :smiley:

1 Like

Glad that you understand the tap rules. Most do not!

Yes, words have meaning in Ohio.

It should be installed on its own 2-pole breaker. The main lugs are only rated for a single conductor.

4 Likes

Especially when they are written into law (you don’t get to substitute words you like better).

2 Likes

Not Chuck cite an example? Your bullying won’t work here!

Chuck is the last person that I would characterize as a bully, Michael.

Happy suspecting. :smile:

…don’t bother.

4 Likes

glad that you added your two cents

You’re a functional idiot.

2 Likes

You bothered…too bad it is worthless.

1 Like

Let’s use your Not Chuck Texan logic.

This is from my Monday inspection.

According to you there is no defect because the bored holes are installed properly per the NEC, 300.4(A)(1).
(1) Bored Hole s. In both exposed and concealed locations,
where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is installed
through bored holes in joists, rafters, or wood members, holes
shall be bored so that the edge of the hole is not less than
32 mm (11⁄4 in.) from the nearest edge of the wood member.

I used

Good thing that Nick got free access to ICC documents so that you can finally see where I get my FACTS.

Functional Idiot vs Not Chuck 100 - 0 keep trying

Hey Michael man, with all due respect can we respect both Chuck and Larry a little more on here please?

Thanks.

5 Likes

That example of yours would be called a non-sequitur.

Besides the argument being a non-sequitur, you got the fundamentals wrong too. Apparently you have some affliction that leaves you with a distorted perception of reality. If you think that boring exceeds 1/3 the depth of the member, you should refrain from performing inspections of any kind, because you cannot perceive spatial relationships and you obviously didn’t do the math. It’s close on the 2 inches, but you haven’t demonstrated how far it is from the edge of the member.

I don’t think I’ve ever encountered anyone so capable of getting everything wrong.

1 Like