Can anyone tell me what this is and tell me if it is a defect?

We use the 2017 NEC. You tap a conductor. You do not ‘tap’ breakers.
Two wires under a breaker are normally two separate branch circuits.

One example of a tap that you might see is in a manufactured home park. A 200 AMP disconnect to a junction box under the unit. In the junction box the electrician taps the 200 AMP conductors with conductors rated at 100 AMPS to a panel inside of the unit rated at 100 AMPS.

Lugs may have multiple conductors but they are not taps.

When I think of taps two articles come to mind. 240.21 & 210.19. There are others but these are the two that come to my mind first.

Double taps is a made up term to claim that you are not citing code when you really are. This is probably the most abused term in the home inspection industry.

bullshit!^

1 Like

That’s not in the NEC either. Double taps is a made up home inspection term. It is not an electrical term.

That’s not the part I called BS on.

1 Like

Oh, ok. Got it. Thanks

James S. Saunders, CPI
President, Member
Certified Inspectors of North Carolina LLC.

james@certinspectnc.com
Direct: 910-578-4943

You’ve got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It’s called perseverance. – Lee Iacocca

mparks2
Michael PARKS
Non-Member Guest

October 27

jsaunders2:
I’m not in Ohio

We use the 2017 NEC. You tap a conductor. You do not ‘tap’ breakers.
Two wires under a breaker are normally two separate branch circuits.

One example of a tap that you might see is in a manufactured home park. A 200 AMP disconnect to a junction box under the unit. In the junction box the electrician taps the 200 AMP conductors with conductors rated at 100 AMPS to a panel inside of the unit rated at 100 AMPS.

Lugs may have multiple conductors but they are not taps.

When I think of taps two articles come to mind. 240.21 & 210.19. There are others but these are the two that come to my mind first.

Double taps is a made up term to claim that you are not citing code when you really are. This is probably the most abused term in the home inspection industry.

Still spouting bullshit.

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know that

Chuck, is there a way to report them?

I already had. was going to come back and delete the post below once the spam was gone.

You can flag them by clicking on the ellipsis next to the post reply and the flag post icon. There is a spam option for reporting.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me what this is and tell me if it is a defect?
Yes! and a big one… The whole flipping place is gonna burn down…Yep!

1 Like

Well said Todd,
I try very hard to ask intelligent question and am very respectful to the Senior Members on these sites, But reading them on the daily…you quote it perfectly…
Matt

That is the answer that I was looking for.

Thank you for the help.

1 Like

I do not use the forum much. I have on occasion needed confirmation on an issue or to learn more about something. I must say that this thread is a glaring example of the uselessness of this forum.
Thinking that I might learn something, I decided to read through this thread. I thought, cool a question about panel mounted surge protectors. This can be helpful, I am going to be performing an inspection next week that has one installed. WOW was I wrong. I read to the very end and only learned that there are quite a few pompous windbags on this forum.
What started as a legitimate question with a request for clarification turned into a pissing match. Useless.
Please bring more professionalism to this forum so that it can be useful.
Stephen

1 Like

You need to choose the topics that help you and leave out the ones that seem to offend you. Other than that you need broad shoulders.
There is a lot of good information on here by very experienced inspectors.
Just choose what helps you and leave what bothers you aside.

4 Likes

think you just upset him even more :surfing_man:

1 Like

Oh well. :grinning:

1 Like

Stephen Brinson Joined Oct 24, '17 Read 6m

LOL, thanks for your informed opinion.

1 Like

When you say spammer, are you referring to all that mess at the end of my post? I am not spamming. This happens whenever I respond to a post by email and not directly on the forum. I don’t know how it does it or why but not intentionally spam. If you look at a lot of my other posts, it does not have that. This is my response if you were talking about me

I totally agree with you. Lots of back and forth insulting and guys on an alpha male trip instead of helping. There is a lot of great information on forum to learn from, and experienced professionals, but also a lot of contests to see who has the biggest ego or smart ass comments. Shame.

Chuck was referring to this post with the spam link at the end.