Can you identify this

Originally Posted By: bemelander
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Saw this at a recent inspection and thought it was very interesting. Can anyone guess what this is.

This next picture may help.

Bill

--
Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jrice

Bill,

It’s either an air compressor or a substitute for a pressure bladder for a well pump. icon_confused.gif

No wait a minute, is it a hot water delivery system?

Jeff

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Hmmmm…

There's only one line coming from the compressor so it must be pumping air. Pressurizing the tank that way doesnt make any sense to me. Wouldn't it prevent supply? So...the only reason I can think of for pumping air into the cold water supply line would be to clear and "winterize" the supply line back to the well. ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) Probably way off!!!

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Guest

Let’s say the well pump only pumps up to thirty pounds. The people like forceful showers so they figured they’d add another twenty of thirty pounds of pressure. Pressurizing the hot side, in effect, pressurizes the cold side as well. Here’s the problem w/ the scenario: Once the bladder tank is is empty, the shower would go from warm to water heater temp nearly instantly, because the pump couldn’t over come system pressures for cold water supply.

It wouldn’t be used to winterize back to the well…the pump’s foot valve would prevent that, but it may used to blow out to another draincock(s) in the residence.

It’s hokey.

The edit is because I had to make draincock one word to get past the censor. Seeing as how that word is censored precludes my string of petcock jokes.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Bill, is this by any chance a system designed to "blow out" an irrigation system, or otherwise to winterize some kind of exterior installation ??

Having said that, if it is I cant see where it connects to an exterior line, also on taking a second look at it is this component:

![](upload://9kEvukbrzidqS9CpCmSucyYzZco.jpeg)

some type of automatic pressure valve or solenoid ??

OK back to the head scratching

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Looks like a pump built in line to blow out the fresh water system for winterizing the house.

Originally Posted By: rmagee

I see these once in a while. It is a piston driven water pump. It can only be used on shallow wells (normally hand dug). Only one pipe coming out of the well and no foot valve required. These are often set up with no pressure tank and operate simply on demand. You open a tap and the pump comes on and runs until you turn off the tap.

Normally seen in camps and cottages. It looks pretty dry around this one. They often leak around the shaft packings.

I always describe them as obsolete and recommend consulting a plumber.

--
Rick Magee
Building Check Ltd.
Fredericton, N.B. Canada
1-506-454-3332
bcheck@nbnet.nb.ca
"check with a professional"

Originally Posted By: bemelander

Well this is a summer home in northern Michigan. It is used to winterize the plumbing system. Not sure how well it works but the house was de-winterized just prior to the inspection and on leaks.

Bill

--
Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Bill,

that was a good one, I've never seen that set up before dispite inspecting lake cabins in New Hampshire. We normally shut the supply off and hook a compressor to an external hose bib.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I had one in my basement before I moved in…it was for the irrigation. just a piston pump on a shallow well.

Winerize? sure, I guess you can use it for that as long as all it does is push out air.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: John Harrison

isnt the pipe comming from the water heater supposed to be cooper?

John…

If you are talking about the TPR drain line... CPVC is allowed. What isn't allowed of course is the reduction to 1/2" (at least that's what it looks like)...but I'm sure Bill is aware of that (and the exposed wire nuts, etc).

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: John Harrison

Sorry what I was refering to were the hot and cold water pipes,

I was always told that you had to use Rigid copper for the first foot, this would include your connector, pipe, and shutoff valve

Ahhh…you got me there. Haven’t heard that. Around here 99.9% of the connections are flex copper first (our ground shakes occasionally) so I’ve never run accross CPVC risers. Anyone got any input on that?

Richard Moore

Seattle, WA

www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jpeck

John,

No requirement for that.

It was recommended (for years) to have the first 18" of the T&P drain line be copper or galvanized, but then tests showed that CPVC would work for that and became approved for that use.

The theory is that when the T&P fails and release water, the incoming cold water reduces the water temperature far enough and fast enough so the CPVC was safe to use.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

The air intake at the top of pump and only 1 line from the pump gives it away as not pumping water

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !