Can you spot the defects here?

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

CODE DEFECTS

What?s Wrong Here?

Think you can spot defects the original installer either ignored or couldn?t identify himself? Here?s your chance to moonlight as an electrical inspector and second-guess someone else?s work from the safety of your living room or office. Joe Tedesco, who has a knack for finding shoddy electrical work, did the dirty work and found this mess. Now it?s your turn to identify the defect!

![](upload://t12pY9TlwuuJPDV6EXpqATeYso8.jpeg)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Kyle Kubs

The end of the metal conduit requires a plastic ring to protect the sheathing of the cables from the sharp edge of the conduit… The cut plug hanging off the side should also be removed. The conduit also has no connector physically attaching it to the box, and the sheathing of the NM-B is excessive and likely causes an “overfill” of the conduit, though I can’t see the wire gauge and conduit size to be sure.

Do I get a star? Do I do I?

--
Those that say it cannot be done should stop interupting those of us who are hard at work, doing it...

Originally Posted By: gmickes

every thing kyle noted, and scrapes on the insullation , are the wires suject to physical damage, are they in a conduit or is that a chase ? is that a box? is it rated? seems to be a screw penitrateing as well. no cover on the box.

Originally Posted By: jjackson

Are you allowed to run NM through conduit?

jj

Originally Posted By: dgiblin

Looks like the sheathing should be cut back so it isn’t in the box if it is a sub panel or junction box.

Originally Posted By: jlybolt

Please tell.

Originally Posted By: jpope

The conduit wasn’t “deburred.” A pair of channel locks works well for that.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738