Canadian government recognizes CMI. Thank you Roy Cooke!

I’m not complaining about using a professional designation but the level of experience/education that gives a “master” designation. Other than those who presently use it for its marketing value and others aspiring for a place in the severely shrinking market, find out how many truly believe it’s a decent many INACHI members who post here have not added the designation to their credentials although all they gave to to is register and send the check…why is this???

Its not only for marketing purposes. It is also an accreditation which was created by legislation. Many professional bodies require members to display the association logo, or state membership. This is also an assurance to the public…

Ray, you are incorrect:

99%+ of all accreditations are created by private entities. Governments at most give out a license (and in many states and countries like Canada they don’t even do that for the inspection industry).

For instance… the word “REALTOR” is a PRIVATE TRADEMARK! The government licenses real estate agents and brokers and about 1/2 of them become REALTORs… members of the National Association of REALTORs (a private trade association like InterNACHI and IAC2).

Brian writes:

In the inspection profession, which has an average life expectancy of less than 3 years, only 1 in about 350 inspectors reach their 10th year. Your proposal would be out of wack in comparison to other professional designations (even ones with the word “master” in them such as “master plumber”).

And furthermore, CMI has other requirements.

I mispoke and I apologize. There should have been a ‘1’ in front of the 75 making it $ 175.00.

Ya know, with a little help some of us could make the CMI and the NCP pretty similar. I know a couple people of influence who could make it happen.

Nick was good enough to pay for my CMI out of his own pocket as a friend and I appreciate that a lot. I doubt the ownership papers for my 1994 Dodge van would have covered much of the cost.

Bill Mullen

If you go back through the archived message boards you will note that originally I wanted to make CMI totally free like www.IAC2.org is but no one wanted it for free… probably the same with your 1994 Dodge van :wink: .

Bill Mullen writes

We’ll get there… anything good in this world takes time to build. The Canadian government Trademark was just another step.

Well, stop pumping out so many “certified” inspectors to keep the merry-go-round going. It appears that with that many going out of the business each year, if there are not large numbers being induced to become an HI by use of close to instant, cheap and easy “certification” and with help from the misleading ads ($10,000 to $30,000 per month revenue) from franchisors, etc., the merry-go-round will stop!!

The stats you claim are not, and will never be a reason, to have such low requirements for a “Master” designation. I wonder if those other trades and professions have such a high turnover rate as ours. The extreme turnover rate signals some major problems in our industry. Don’t you think??

How can you have any credibility when memberships can be had for free? It lessens the value of membership for those that did pay. I don’t see engineers and other professions giving away memberships. Who polices Nachi to ensure its in compliance with its own standards based on no bylaws?

Ray, drink a cup of coffee and pay attention.

The MICB never gave away a single membership. I did. I paid for them with my own money. The door prizes at www.nachi.org/dailydoorprize.htm were not CMIs given away by the MICB. They were $375 checks given away by Nick Gromicko. The threads say “… donated by Nick Gromicko.” Your friend Bob Francis recieved a $375 check drawn on my personal checking account.

Are you saying that I have no right to give away my money? Hate to give you the bad news but I live small (very small relative to my income) and the rest I give away. Nothing unusual for me. Again, are you saying there is something wrong with this?

Brian, incorrectly writes:

How is the “3 years in business” requirement instant? 3 years is longer than the average life expectancy of an inspector!

How is the 1,000 inspections or CE hours easy?

You sound like Obama, great lines, nothing behind them.

Read www.certifiedmasterinspector.org again slower.

There have been plenty of inspectors who inquired and found they did
not qualify as a CMI. An insurance company recently told me that
those who qualify as a CMI are the type of inspectors who are the elite
in the industry their numbers are only a very small percentage.

If becoming a CMI is so easy, why do so few qualify, when you look at
the total number of inspectors in the entire industry.? It would seem that
everyone would qualify if it was easy.

John:

I think the latest version of the requirements is good, provided they are verified. Merely signing an affidavit doesn’t cut it. I think the issue is more with those who joined in the beginning when the only real requirement was a pulse and a the ability to write a cheque.

Bill Mullen

Regardless how the membership came into the hands of the recipient, it was still free. Just because it is your money doesn’t make it right.

When my son qualifies for InterNACHI and passes his Texas exam,
I am going to pay for his fees. As long as he is qualified, what is
the problem?

For someone who did not have to pay for your own membership in
InterNACHI, to now say your membership was not “right”, seems
a little disingenuous.

Saying the qualifications were just a “pulse” is an exaggeration.

Many trade designations have evolved over the years and
all those who were already members, were grand fathered-in
as the qualifications were increased. It’s called “keeping an
agreement”.

The present CMI’s all seem to fit the qualifications. Do you
have any challenges? I had some question your qualifications,
but I think you fit the bill.

Hi John:

I’m not questioning anyone’s credentials in particular. I’m trying to point out that the qualifications from day one to now have evloved dramatically and quickly. I too have a problem with the term ‘master’ when some hasn’t had to prove any ability at their craft.

If challenged in a court of law, I’m wondering how someone who didn’t go through much rigor will be able to defend their piece of paper.

Bill Mullen

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my abilities.

If someone cannot prove 3 years exp. and 1000 inspection/education, then
they might have a problem. If they have it, then then there will be no problem.

Here is something to consider…

A master electrician cannot do the job of an inspector, but the inspector
examines and corrects his work.

A master plumber cannot do the the job of an inspector, but the inspector
examines and corrects his work.

As you said… the “latest version of the requirements is good”… but how that
is verified is always a matter of opinions.

When I was licensed in Texas to become an inspector, they wanted proof
of the required years in construction that I claimed. They required that I
send in 3 affidavits signed by business people in my area. Many state
governments use affidavits to verify proof of various things. Why can’t
CMI do the same?

Which CMI is lying? None that I know of.

1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Verdana, Sans Serif]Completing 1,000 fee-paid inspections or hours of inspection-related continuing education (combined) in their lifetime.[/FONT]
  2. Proving they’ve been in the inspection business for at least 3 years.
  3. Abiding by the industry’s toughest Code of Ethics.
  4. Substantially following a Board approved Standards of Practice.
  5. Submitting to a criminal background check.
  6. Applying for Board certification by signing the affidavit in front of a Notary.

Anybody worth their salt does not rely on free memberships to gain entry into any professional body regardless who pays for it. The die has been cast, by giving away CMI or Nachi memberships someone has unwittingly created questionable credentials. There is no assurance other than someones word that everyone completed an affidavits, this has been proven. No bylaws, no elected board, just some individuals who decided to set up a questionable designation.

So your free InterNACHI membership makes you worthless salt? You said it.

If someone is qualified, and I pay their fee, what is the problem? Think about it.