Carbon dating a furnace?

Originally Posted By: rmoore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Anyone got a feel for the age of this oil-fired FAU. 1913 home. No data plate and only the name “Mayflower” on the front. Might be the manufacturer or the boat it was shipped on. icon_wink.gif It appeared to be in good working order, good flame color, liner etc and has been serviced on a very regular basis. How long would you expect the heat exchanger to last on a dinosaur like this? Also…I could not find the filters either in the return plenum or the return registers but there was a note that they had been changed this year. Any ideas where they might be?

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

MAYFLOWER: St. Paul furnace company looks to me like a 50’s finish on it

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: rwills

St Paul Furnace Co last listed in 1962 so it’s at least 42!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jsavino

Richard

I'm sure you checked inside the rear hatch of the blower unit compartment. That where I find them. Or maybe some one is fibbin about changing them.
I like the new smoke elbow all shinny lookin.

John

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Robert,

I've inspected several of those huge ships. You know what to tell your client when you see one of these.
The filter is always located on the opposite side of the burner access door. Right inside and under the return ductwork that penetrates the cabinet. If there?s no filter inside that door, then it's missing. Check for diagonal tracks on the sides of the cabinet that hold these filters in place. There are usually two filters inside the cabinet. Sometimes they are the same size, other times they are of varying sizes.
![](upload://aWTRUraNtQ2T2bkVBw0PHLo76ZQ.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: kluce

Looks like the Thermoflo oil furnaces I use to condemn about 15 years ago. A lot of oil furnace were around South East Wisconsin 15 - 20 years ago.

Still has the stack primary. It doesn't look like it has an air conditioner with it since it has a reg. at the plenum. There is different ways to handle this but I normally take the reg off to look at the heat exchanger. A lot of these heat exchangers crack at the top where it's most heat build up.

I still recommend further avaulation by a heating tech.

What did the tag say right above the handle to the burner?

kluce wrote:
What did the tag say right above the handle to the burner?

Nothing legible Kevin. There was a small data plate on the opposite end. Only thing I could get from that was the input BTU (100,000).

I don't remember the tracks inside the air handler but they may have been there. Probably concentrating too much on the fire-breathing end of this dragon.

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Looks like a 60’s era heater to me. If Bob says '62, I will buy that.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: mrose

Hi Richard,

See if it's still in warranty.

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: mberman

icon_smile.gif i say late 50,s early 60,s also check the flue tube going through the blower compartment sometimes pitted at bottom.as stated earlier the air filter should be in the blower compartment (somewhere}.-------matt.

The earliest legible entry on the inspection/service stickers was 1969 but there were a few before that that I couldn’t make out. So very early 60’s or late 50’s makes sense. I ended up reporting it as “likely more than 40 years old” along with the usual recommendations.

Thanks guys...I'll be better informed if I see one of these again.

BTW...in the photo to the right of the furnace you can see a bunch of clay (?) pipes on the cripple wall. These were about a foot long, maybe 3" in diameter with about a 1 1/2" bore. No clue where they came from or what they related to. Any ideas?

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Just wandering what was next to the furnace? I see some patch work on the cement floor.

And what is that water heater sitting on??????

Not sure Kevin, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a footprint from the old coal or wood furnace. One corner of the basement looked like it was once a solid fuel hopper.

Water heater is sitting on an insulating pad...and NOT seismically strapped.

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com