Ceiling Fans Have no Wall Switch

Is it acceptable to have a ceiling fan where the blades operate independently of the wall switch? Wall switch turns on and off the light but not the fan? Seems like there us a direct current with no way to shut off other than chain. No buttons or switches at fan except to reverse the blades

Use the pull chain to control the fan.

That’s my question is that allowed? Just seems odd to have no other way.

On most of the older homes these were added to replace a standard light. The main reason for the pull chain. There is no wiring to attach a separate switch for the fan. That is why the manufactures add the chain.

2 Likes

According to the NEC it’s code compliant. A separate wall switch for the fan would be a convenience but is not required.

5 Likes

Thanks that’s what I needed.

Homes is 90s

That is what I thought, Rob…thank for the verification. :+1:

1 Like

Even homes in 2020’s. Many rooms are still wired with just one switch controlled ceiling light. Then the owner decides to replace the light fixture with a light/fan combo.

2 Likes

I don’t Mention it unless the light doesn’t have a switch either.

1 Like

Most modern ones have remotes now, so it doesn’t much matter. As long as it can be operated, makes no difference.

2 Likes

I installed a Hunter Ceiling fan in my bedroom ceiling and the switch kills the power to the light and/or the fan. So if you want the light only, it is controled by the wall switch and vise versa. And if you want both you use the chain switches. Both can be shut off by the chain switches or wall switch.
So as Robert said, it might be code compliant, but not installed properly for the convienence function.

1 Like

I have the remote type installed. Wall switch is left in the On position and the light and fan are controlled by the remote. Lazy man’s way of not having to get out of bed or off the couch to turn either off.

2 Likes
2 Likes

On a related topic: What’s the consensus - does the remote by itself count as the required light on/off for the room. For example, maybe the switch once operated only an outlet and the outlet was replaced to be non-switched so now the switch serves no purpose but the fan/light remote is stuck to the wall.

This popped into my head since I’m working on a little remodel including replacing outlets and installing a new fan/light. I have no plans to change the outlet from switchable but was playing the “what if game” in my head.

Technically probably not. But I have seen some with a remote holder near the doorway. Most of us would probably never put the remote back in it though, lol.

2 Likes

Neither did I Matt because it controlled a wall sconce plugged in. I just added a two gang switch and took power off the existing to feed the new fan. The switch shuts power to the fan. The chain switches just allow you to control what function you want. Light or fan.

1 Like

Just throw it in the stack on the nightstand. :laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t think the remote by itself meets code for controlling the light or fan. The pull chain switches on the fan do however.

Many homes have switched outlets in the bedrooms. Where access to the top plate is concealed by attic flooring it is hard to impossible to add a switch (my home). I installed the remote by the door and it never comes out of the holder. I make sure the fan is always on low (pull chain) cause I only installed it to please the wife. I prefer no fan (she runs the AC too high anyway).

I just bought a new Hunter fan for my patio. I doesn’t have pull chains only remote controlled.