Chimney Flashings

Originally Posted By: API
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was under the understanding that counter flashing was a straight piece that was imbedded in the brick that covered the step flashing. Which made the flashing around the chimney water tight and a nice square finished look ie…straight flashing all around the bottom 6 inches or so. But I was looking at the online graphs and I found this one here and it sure doesn’t look right to me could someone explain please?

http://www.nachi.org/tips/0065.gif

Originally Posted By: mboyett

The drawing is correct. How would a straight piece follow the angle of the roof and still be able to be embedded in the mortar joint? Only the ‘top’ and ‘bottom’ of the chimney will have straight, pan flashing. The ‘sides’ that follow the roof line will have step flashing.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Occasionally you will see where they saw cut a grove into the chimney parallel to the roof and imbedded a single piece of counter flashing into it with mortar or some other sealing compound.

This is done where the chimney is pre-existing before the the counter flashing and they did not want to rebuild the top portion of the chimney.

This method is better than no counter flashing but not as good as that shown in the illustration.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: API

I see many chimneys like the following picture, so which is right, this by the way is what I was refering too.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/home_owner_clinic/1188482.html

With a reglet Mike.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Quote:
The counter flashing may follow each individual mortar joint and step its way down the side of the chimney, or it may be set into a groove cut in the chimney side called a reglet. The advantage of using the reglet is that it allows a single piece of counter flashing.

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

The important point is that all the way around the chimney there is a top flashing and a bottom flashing that are mounted in a shingle fashion so the water runs off. Many ways. Many names.

But bottom line is, to be effective, it must shed water.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Rafael

I see alot of flashing roof to sidewall, on top of the shingles and some yucked underneath. whish is correct.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Mike,

A reglet is what I was refering to.

Also see http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=8709&highlight=chimney+flashing+cut

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !