Chimney tape flashing

What is everyone’s opinion on the flashing on this chimney?

Well, what’s yours?

1 Like

You sure it is not lead counter flashing? I used lead for masonry work but it appeared thicker.
At least the flashing is sealed in mortar joints.

2 Likes

I agree with Robert, that looks like lead flashing tucked into the mortar. Was it leaking? I would prefer to see some angle flashing and counter flashing. More like this:

1 Like

Most likely had asphalt shingles at one time.

1 Like

I am thinking amateur. Fasteners should be as shown below to secure the seam (if that is a seam, I can’t really tell from here). Additionally, fasteners are rusted, the neoprene is probably blown out or dry-rotted. Coating is all scratched. I see plenty to call out here.

1 Like

I see it as functional now, It is tucked into the mortar and is a thick lead like tape. It does the job intended, but I do not think it will be long lasting. I feel the whole roof us improperly and unprofessionally installed.

1 Like

I would consider that a temporary type of flashing. I’m sure it will work for a few years, I just hope the homeowner is OK with it? I would have at least painted it to match the roof as it sticks out like a sore thumb. In time I’m sure it will either crack at the 90 or adhesive will fail. But it’s better than just tar, or fabric with elastomeric.

Now that’s a professional looking flashing job.

1 Like