Missing Counter Flashing?

Hey Guys,

New guy here. Currently working my way through the Roofing section of the Online Education.

While inspecting my own roof I discovered some interesting flashing along the furnace stack. It is intended as step flashing but it looks as if it would work like counter flashing as well.

Question is, if you discovered this in the field would you write this up as missing counter flashing?

Also, I see a bunch of other issues in this photo:

The sealant is weathered and broken, flashing is rusted, and there is a hole that allows light straight through to the attic (right corner of step flashing). I’m sure I’m missing other things, feel free to point them out.

Thanks everyone.

3 Likes

Report what you see and refer it out, for repair.

a

3 Likes

Welcome to our forum, Erin!..enjoy participating. :smiley:

1 Like

Dang, that was a super fast response! Thank you Larry.

1 Like

Improperly applied chimney flashing.

2 Likes

How can you say that the chimney flashing is improperly applied? There is another way to flash a chimney properly.
images

4 Likes

Easily.
Counter flashing too long. Look at the InterNACHI diagram. The roof deck/chimney flashing must move independently. In this case it does not.
In affect, it is one piece chimney flashing’s. Missing step flashing. Shingles not independent.
Head wall flashing seams not locked/lapped or sealed water tight.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

That is some old flashing and has been thru a few roof shingle cycles in my opinion. I actually like the step flashing being tucked and I would not be hyper sensitive to the fact that it is missing modern counter flashing.

My concerns would be the aged/rusted materials and how it is performing. It is certainly time to consider an upgrade because of age. I would not install counterflashing over that old material.

4 Likes

It looks like the counter-flashing is there but rusted and not trimmed high enough off the roof. I will usually pop the shingles and verify step flashing and/or run my screwdriver blade up under the counter-flashing and listen/feel for the “bump” between each course of step flashing. What I see there is a super-common condition on a 60s-ish house in my area. Depending if I see leakage in the attic I recommend replacement or plan or replacement in the near future.

2 Likes

I thought the same, but going off the OP statement and this zoom, I’m thinking it is step. The arrow also points to a nice little water penetration point.

2 Likes

I guess Your guys eyes are way better than mine from Ohio it looks properly flashed to me, not new by any means, but I certainly would not be calling that a defect,

5 Likes

This is the main concern in my book. Followed by the rusted flashing. I would note in the report to have the opening sealed shut and monitor the flashing periodically. I would also verbally tell the client to make sure the flashing gets replaced at the next re-roof.

3 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

10 Year Warranty. Good to go!

3 Likes

Thank you all for expanding my education of flashing techniques. I agree that the largest concern is the blatant hole in the corner and the deterioration of the flashing. Being that it is my own roof, I will likely have a roofer replace with step and counter flashing. At this point If I was to encounter this in the field I would consider it on a case-by-case basis. Due to the age of this technique it would likely be in rough shape and I’d recommend it to be replaced by a contractor. If it appeared to be in good condition I may note that it is an unusual flashing method but not a defect. Would I be covering all the bases with this approach?

1 Like

If my home, I would have a (chimney) mason take care of that.
Roofers are likely the ones that gave you the crap you have now. Rarely do any of them have any actual expertise installing proper flashing of any kind!

4 Likes

The whole chimney flashing as it pertains to roofing is a kettle of worms of sorts. Masons are the ones to truly do the job but roofers wanting to be competitive with their bids often don’t include/educate buyers about this. Some roofers I’ve seen are decently skilled at masonry and replace the counter-flashing which is nice. Either way it would be REALLY nice if roofers would explain things - either work it into your bid or tell the buyer it’s additional and should be done. I regularly write up counter-flashing being rusted/worn with chimney re-pointing recommendations. Same guy, same tools/materials… just have it done.

Fwiw, over the last few years some borderline fraudulent masonry contractor franchises have worked their way into my area of Oregon. EVERY chimney repair is 5K+ (usually MUCH more). No such thing as re-pointing above the roof. Everything is sold with sealers and coatings and full mortar replacement… just total BS. It’s made me change our company spec and recommendations on chimneys a lot to prevent the angry phone call. But pisses me off since it’s often doing work that doesn’t need to be done (and probably isn’t being done… just charged for).

3 Likes

Great point. I’ll definitely take this into consideration.

Dang, if I got a 4 digit quote to replace some flashings I’d be reconsidering my line of work. :laughing: Thanks for the info. All great things to consider.

1 Like

Yeah… unfortunately, it’s the homeowners getting the quote and they don’t realize the line of crap they are being fed. In both areas I inspect (Oregon and Maui) contractors are in such high demand that they can just throw out ridiculous bids and still get hired by fools who don’t know better.

1 Like