Citizens now requires electrical system upgraded when over 35 years?

Has anyone heard of this or have anything written regarding this? Any information much appreciated.


Think its 25 years, they want to know something has been upgraded in the last 25. Could be the whole panel, or just an HVAC or a water heater, room addition, etc.

Really? I spoke to an agent on behalf of one of my customers I did a 4-point for 2 months ago and the agent for Briteway Insurance told me Citizen’s underwriter told him it was 35 years. I asked if he would provide her something in writing regarding the policy for this and he said he’d try. She’s still waiting I believe.

But, I have heard the 25 years before Kevin. In fact, I’ve even heard 20. I think many don’t even know for sure and are just stating anything that comes to mind.

But Kevin, seems to me an HVAC system upgrade wouldn’t really have much bearing on the homes electrical system? I sure would like to have something concrete in writing. Thanks for you help Kevin. Much appreciated.

It wouldn’t but they just want to know something/anything has been at least looked at by someone with a license or doing work.

There are no real concrete rules with this stuff, and nearly every insurance agent wants something different from the others.

What you’re saying makes sense Kevin but, Citizens seems to have a policy for just about everything and I would like to think they have something in written form where they spell out what they consider to be outdated when it comes to the homes electrical system. Thanks again,


**[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]The following is an excerpt from Citizens Underwriting Manual:

A. Loss Frequency
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]For Applicants who have sustained 3 or more losses (excluding acts of God) in the 36 month period immediately
preceding the effective date or subsequent renewal, the only policy available is [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Dwelling Fire [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Form [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]CIT DP-1**[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2].
[/size][/FONT]**[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]B. Older Homes
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Homes over 50 years old [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]must **[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]have updated electrical wiring and heating within the last 35 years to be eligible for
coverage (not applicable to tenant named insured and condominium risks). Acceptable documentation from a verifiable
qualified inspector must be submitted with the application or be provided prior to renewal.

Thank you very very much Richard. Good to have this information.



Yes it would.
Homes built in the 50s in some instances, only had a 60 amp service, sometimes, 100 amps.
Adding central air requires an upgrade of service…unless you are in Dade County! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Yes, I agree. I guess I should have been more specific though. I meant to say that if you were simply replacing a HVAC unit due to age, faulty, etc… but already had the service size that would carry the load, it shouldn’t make any difference. Thanks Eric.