Clip or no clip

Ran into this today. The clip is installed on the ceiling joist instead of the rafter. I felt it was no clip but then thought it is similar to placing blocking between the rafter and the clip.

I still think toe nail but wanted to see if others disagree.

Not a clip.

As long as the joist is securely nailed to the rafter (which it is), I would count it as a clip.

By the pict I see NO nails? Am I missing them?

The joist and rafter are nailed together.

Sounds most like toenail to me.
I see nothing in the metal anywhere with nails. If there is no nails through metal it cannot be a clip.

Sorry Michael, I thought you were asking if the rafter and joist were nailed together. The clips had 3 or 4 nails in each one. I have better photos of the clips and the nails but this one showed the rafter and joist better.

Oh no sweat.
Use your best judgement and good luck :slight_smile:

Ya Win some Ya Lose some with the underwriters :slight_smile:

Your question was answered in detail here: http://askwindmitigationman.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49

As long as it has the nails I would call it a clip

Read Robert Sheppard’s post above and go to his link. Although some of you will disagree with it, he has the correct answer. It comes down to more than just reading the from and answering a simple question, and to get the correct answer, a lot more research is needed. And even at that, a home inspector may not be qualified to to properly asses it.

Clip

According to the wording on the form. Or you can try to read the “expert”

LOL. Yeah, the “expert” sure likes to ramble on, but never really answers the question. Jerry Peck, with all due respect, says “Neither”??? I think both of those guys forgot about the blocking allowance.

Robert,

What is your end game? What are you trying to accomplish with your new forum? You are stating your opinions as fact the way I see it. Who has said that you are correct and that you interpretations are correct? You are not an Architect or Engineer.

I seriously mean no disrespect just trying to figure you out.

Is what you write not just your interpretation with some definite facts based on the building codes?

Why did you decide to start the Forum? Just curious.

Take care and good luck with the new Forum, I hope it helps people but I personally DO NOT agree with your interpretation of everything but everyone has their own opinions I guess :slight_smile:

…because this program isn’t just a revenue generator for inspectors. It’s intent is to entice home owners to reinforce their existing home against wind damage. to provide specific information on the structure to a home owner so they better understand the homes weaknesses and strengths.

This has the potential to save lives…and has done so in the past.

I have other reasons, but that is definitely the first and foremost reason.

I wonder about the other reasons :slight_smile:

I met one of your clients today.

We could always forgo all the pleasantries and compare Jerry’s qualifications to yours…Building Inspector, Plans Examiner, CBC, CGC, Residential Building Inspector, Residential Plans Examiner…etc?

He answered the question in the simplest way possible…using what the form specifically asks and requires (aren’t you guys always saying that?)…that the connectors be attached to the “truss/rafter” to qualify.

Blocking/shimming is for “off-set” anchors of the embedded type…you know, anchors that are embedded in the bond beam and can’t be moved to the side of the rafter/truss.

I’m pretty sure when it comes to mechanically attached clips the connector is installed after the rafter/truss is set…at least with the thousands that I built and installed.

Plantation?

Having constructed more conventional frame rafter systems than I care to remember, I can tell you why this connection was placed where it is (connected to the ceiling joist) instead of where it should be (rafter).

Mechanically attached connectors are installed AFTER the rafters are set, not before.

In other words, the rafters and joists were set to the exterior supporting wall, then the connectors put in place.

So why are they attached to the joist and not the rafter?

Because the builder installed the roof sheathing BEFORE he installed the connectors and the connection between the rafter and the supporting wall structure was no longer accessible.

The connectors were installed at the only location that was accessible after the sheathing was installed, the ceiling joist from the inside. The connectors are not installed at the correct location, the connectors should be on the outside wall connected to the rafter.

Again, “can” and “should”…….

My fault, I “assumed” because you are a licensed contractor that you would have put two and two together on this one.