CO and gas sniffer

No kidding…lol…I didn’t know any state had mandatory tools and equipment requirements.

Does it say you actually have to use it??

2 Likes

I use a NCi gas leak detector that is also used by our local gas provider. I do sniff all gas line joints for leaks. The official gas provider stance is a leak no matter how small should be repaired. I think it is important to provide the client the satisfaction that at the inspection there were no leaks. I have found trace leaks, no smell but there is a minute leak. Again the gas provider said, all leaks need repaired-they never fix themselves and could get worse in time. I consider it a good service.

1 Like

Nope, just be equipped

1 Like

Yup, Here’s the list:

Section 13:40-15.17 - Mandatory tools and equipment

(a) All licensees shall, during the performance of a home inspection, be equipped with the following minimum tools and equipment:

1. A ladder, minimum 11 feet in length;

2. A flashlight or other equivalent light source;

3. A flame inspection mirror;

4. An electrical outlet tester with Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) test ability;

5. Tools necessary to remove common fasteners on covers or panels which are required to be removed pursuant to this subchapter.

6. A measuring tape;

7. A probe;

8. Thermometers for testing air conditioning;

9. Binoculars or equivalent magnification device;

10. A moisture meter;

11. Combustible gas leak detection equipment; and

12. A voltage detector.

6 Likes

Wow. Thanks Stephen. It’s a little crazy that they require you to have all of those but do not require you to use any of them.

2 Likes

I thought I needed the same detectors 27 years ago! They have been sitting on my office shelf for about 25 years! Unless you are doing combustion analysis on fuel gas or oil systems, we just do not have much use for them during a normal home inspection. I’m sure some feel different and have all of the meters and use them during their inspections and if they make you feel better then get the meters. But, first learn how to operate them and learn and understand their limitations.

The combustible gas leak detection Stephen noted, could even be a bottle of bubbles!https://www.supplyhouse.com/Supco-HS22008-Highside-Gas-Leak-Detector-Bottle-w-Dauber-8-oz?utm_source=google_ad&utm_medium=Shopping_tm&utm_campaign=Shopping_TM_MPLTV&gclid=CjwKCAjw77WVBhBuEiwAJ-YoJOfcmq4MZaQkNtsAxW0c-mlyEDx7QhMyuPNKy1wNpRqAWy2CLGJptBoCJcIQAvD_BwE

2 Likes

If you DO want a CO2 detector

1 Like

Natural Gas and LPG contain an odorant that you can smell. I use this for Carbon monoxide. Especially handy in crawlspaces/attics with gas funaces.

3 Likes

CO:
Carbon dioxide is a colorless and non-flammable gas at normal temperature and pressure. Although much less abundant than nitrogen and oxygen, in Earth’s atmosphere, carbon dioxide is an important constituent of our planet’s air. A molecule of carbon dioxide (CO2) is made up of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms.
Carbon dioxide on the other hand, (CO2), and carbon monoxide (CO) gases, are emitted during the combustion of various fuels. Carbon monoxide is poisonous, whereas carbon-dioxide is non-toxic in nature.
I use…
1: REED 9400R. Carbon dioxide detector.
2: Bacharach’s Leakator® 10 COMBUSTIBLE GAS DETECTOR.

I hope you proofread your reports better than you do your posts!

CO2 is an important gas for growing plants. It is also a by product of breathing. It is insignificant as a greenhouse gas ( the major “greenhouse gas” is water vapor) but significant in the growing of plants. The Earth is actually “greener” now, as evidenced by satellite images and food production, than it ever has been.

The presence of CO2 in a home would most often be significant for well insulated homes with poor ventilation; often described as “stuffiness.” CO on the other hand is the "silent Killer’ and indicates an appliance with improper combustion and / or backdrafting and is a serious hazard that needs immediate attention.

3 Likes

Read it…slowly.

The main gases responsible for the greenhouse effect include carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and water vapor (which all occur naturally), and fluorinated gases (which are synthetic).
What are the main 4 greenhouse gases?

• Carbon Dioxide.
  • Methane. Methane (CH4) is a hydrocarbon that is a primary component of natural gas . Methane is also a greenhouse gas (GHG), so its presence in the atmosphere affects the earth’s temperature and climate system. Methane is emitted from a variety of anthropogenic (human-influenced) and natural sources.
  • Nitrous Oxide.
  • Fluorinated Gases. Fluorinated gases (F-gases) are man-made gases that can stay in the atmosphere for centuries and contribute to a global greenhouse effect . There are four types: hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) and nitrogen trifluoride (NF3).
    I take it all these gasses are insignificant?

You should read it again, moron. Your definition for Carbon monoxide is CO2. WAFI

You wrote
“CO:
Carbon dioxide is a colorless and non-flammable gas at normal temperature and pressure. Although much less abundant than nitrogen and oxygen, in Earth’s atmosphere, carbon dioxide is an important constituent of our planet’s air. A molecule of carbon dioxide (CO2) is made up of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms.”

Carbon dioxide on the other hand, (CO2), and carbon monoxide (CO) gases,

As well, any air tight home or building requires proper ventilation. Insulation has nothing to do with it.

You are a sick man that requires help. Do the membership a favor and get some help.

Why do we make air tight homes, moron? Oh, for insulation, DUH! Let’s keep the conditioned air in and the outdoor air out! WAFI

1 Like

If anyone can predict or invent a fart tester, I’m interested…

I had a methane gas sniffer in the past.
Used it to detect termite activity when performing spot treatments.
Don’t need one for a WAFI alert… … …

2 Likes

Lol. What an R’s Hole.