CO and gas sniffer

I am told that I need to purchase a sniffer to detect Carbon Monoxide and combustible gases (natural gas and propane). There are a number of units that do one or the other, other say they are not for CO. Is there a recommended unit that I should purchase that will satisfy these/both needs?

I use my nose for combustible gasses and use the below clipped to my tool bag or belt loop for CO.

Why do you monitor for Trace gases?? Do you really think there is a hazard of Carbon Dioxide in a home?

2 Likes

Just curious, why do you need one?

Lol, sorry, my bad. CO.

2 Likes

Btw… your first pic was for an Oxygen detector! :wink:

2 Likes

It’s a Friday after a long week and maybe the beer is going down good. Ever think of that smart alek? :+1: :blush: :rofl: :wink: :thinking:

4 Likes

I think all the time. Perhaps you should try it! :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

1 Like

You don’t live too far away from me to come down there and…

3 Likes

images

1 Like

I’ll meet you half way!!

2 Likes

Niseikoi Slapping GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 Like

That all you got? What’s with the ‘limp wrist’??

43185810_1572981591933522_r

1 Like

to get back to the op, wait before You buy one,you will most likely find You don’t need one…

5 Likes

Who’s telling you? In 22+ years I’ve never used one and never felt the need. Be careful of being the “gadget guy”. Every gadget you bring out of your toolbox elevates your client’s expectations of what you’re going to do and find.

5 Likes

It’s also good to know if you have enough oxygen. Just sayin.

4 Likes

That combined with @mfellman is exactly where I was headed.

Maybe his boss requires it?

2 Likes

I’ll be a party pooper and return to the topic. I use a TIPI 775. It sniffs both gas and CO. It requires annual recalibration that costs between $35 and $100 plus shipping. I like them so much that I have two, so I always have one when one is being recalibrated.

But…these days the importance of sniffers is diminished. Modern 80% plus furnaces and boilers rarely throw off CO if vented properly. I find more gas fireplaces leaking CO than furnaces.
The human nose is more sensitive to smell gas than any combustible gas sniffer, but sniffers are useful in pinpointing a gas leak.

4 Likes

In New Jersey:

Section 13:40-15.17 - Mandatory tools and equipment

(a) All licensees shall, during the performance of a home inspection, be equipped with the following minimum tools and equipment:

11. Combustible gas leak detection equipment

4 Likes

Shoulda known. . . . Only in Jersey!

2 Likes