Code books

Originally Posted By: kluce
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have been looking at getting code books. Nobody in the NW Indiana area sells them. Where would be the best place to purchase these books? I would like it on my computer is possible. I like one time fees. Any other suggestions would be great. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Try these:

http://www.iccsafe.org/e/prodcat.html?catid=TOPTEN&stateInfo=ibjfMklcYfZdeotj1186|1

http://store.homeinspection.com/script/merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ITA&Category_Code=BOOKS-BEST

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Kevin the best place I’ve found for code books is to order from one of the model code orgs. And like John suggusted From the ICC.

Originally Posted By: csoutherland

Do a search for the " Engineer’s Bookstore" in Atlanta, Georgia. They have the code books and have many state’s amendments to the codes.

Carl

Originally Posted By: roconnor

If the IRC is in effect in your area, consider getting a copy of “CodeCheck - A Field Guide to Building a Safe House” discussed there:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=1138&highlight=

Its available at Borders or www.codecheck.com ... real handy laminated summary pages of important/major IRC code provisions. Lots of helpful pages/links at that website too ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Kevin,

In addition to the previous recommendations you might try the local supply houses for electrical and plumbing code books. They usually have at least a limited supply on hand or can get them.

The local code enforcement departments also often carry a supply of the codes that have been adopted by the local municipality. This may be the best source since they often have amendments adopted on the local level that you may need to be aware of.

A complete set of all the codes that apply in the area you work may be next to impossible (or at least very costly) to maintain. They are continually being updated and which code is being used at any given time may vary among the different Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Have a Great Day!!!

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: jdavidson

I got some basic flip charts at Lowes. They work good for showing customes things. We don’t do “code” because codes change over time and the house could have been built before the code changed. Does everyone else do code?

I’m code certified by CABO (now ICC) in electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and residential building. The only time I mention codes is when I have specifically been hired to inspect new construction or to monitor the building of a home.

Carl

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Carl:

Should we list that credential in your affix? See the TX TREC mentions in the members beneath you in http://www.nachi.org/memberlist/featured/s.htm

Nick

I have come across drains from the A.C. coil connected straight into a sewer pipe in crawl. This is not allowed since the smells may work it’s way back to the A.C coil. The heating company disagreed and the builder believed the heating company. I looked up the information and gave it to the home owner and seen it corrected on the last inspection.

Without that information, the correction might of not happened. There was a chance the client would be confused and question my knowlaedge and ability.

This way I came out smelling like a rose and not the sewer. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Note: I use to be a heating tech, I was aware of this being in the code book.

There are some Associations that will update the code as it comes out. But again, Expensive.

Carl

Do you think ICC was worth it?

A lot of new construction here.

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

The ICC is for your own learning. If you want to learn more it will be worth it. If you are not interested in this type of learning it will not be worth it. Its up to each person on how they want to spend their money on learning. icon_twisted.gif

Nick,

Thanks, but not necessary. Just Residential Building Inspector.

In our area many builders of new homes put a stipulation in the sales contract that the inspector must have liability insurance and be building code certified. I have had to show proof of these in order to go on the property. I, personally believe, that taking classes in building codes has make me a better inspector. Most of the items we look for in an inspection are based on codes, even if we don't cite them. You can get copies of codes and learn them, but good code classes and study groups really help. There are study guides for each test that may help. The ICC tests are open book, but are timed. I believe a few of my fellow NACHI members in this area have these certifications.

Carl