Cold Weather and Inspections

Hey guys!
I had a quick question regarding inspections in below freezing weather!

I have a couple of inspections scheduled for tomorrow and the outside temp is supposed to be in the single digits…

My question is if I should leave all the sinks/faucets dripping, in order to prevent them from freezing? The house is vacant, I’m just worried about closing the faucets and causing future pipe damage.

Thanks for your opinions! We don’t usually deal with weather this cold, where I’m from!

Leave it like you found it.
As you leave take a picture of the thermostat setting.

8 Likes

Thank you for the timely response!

1 Like

Dress appropriately!!

Temps

4 Likes

BEFORE you use any fixtures… verify if the plumbing system has been winterized or not. If it has, DO NOT attempt using any fixtures!!

7 Likes

Great tip! Thank you!!
And yes, we’ll definitely be layered up tomorrow!!
You have me beat, here in Oklahoma were expecting a crazy weekend of snow lol

Not used to that down here!

Whatever you do - make sure the heat is fully operational when you leave and that all breakers are on as you found them. Don’t want an unpleasant call down the road that you left the heat emergency switch off and the house has frozen.

1 Like
1 Like

Extended Forecast for

Denver CO

Click here for hazard details and duration

Winter Weather Advisory

• Tonight

Tonight: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly after 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 2. Wind chill values as low as -6. North wind 3 to 6 mph. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Chance Snow

Low: 2 °F

• Saturday

Saturday: A chance of flurries with a slight chance of snow before 11am, then snow likely, mainly after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 12. Wind chill values as low as -6. Calm wind becoming northeast 5 to 8 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Snow Likely

High: 12 °F

• Saturday
    Night

Saturday Night: Snow. Low around -6. Wind chill values as low as -21. North northeast wind around 9 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Snow

Low: -6 °F

• Sunday

Sunday: Snow likely, mainly before 11am. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 5. Wind chill values as low as -20. Northeast wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Snow Likely
then Slight
Chance Snow

High: 5 °F

• Sunday
    Night

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -11. Northeast wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Mostly Cloudy

Low: -11 °F

• Washington’s
    Birthday

Washington's Birthday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 26.

Mostly Sunny

High: 26 °F

• Monday
    Night

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 11.

Mostly Cloudy

Low: 11 °F

• Tuesday

Tuesday: A slight chance of snow after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 41.

Slight Chance
Snow

High: 41 °F

• Tuesday
    Night

Tuesday Night: A slight chance of snow before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16.

Slight Chance
Snow then
Mostly Cloudy

Low: 16 °F

Yep, it’s balmy here too. LOL

1 Like

Cue the Florida Inspectors bragging about wearing shorts to inspections in 3,2,1…

3 Likes

I love the 4 seasons, let it snow, sucks for work though, O well, enjoy. :cold_face:

1 Like

Not a Florida inspector, but looks like I timed a trip perfectly!

2 Likes

Leave everything as you found it.

Add the following to your pre-inspection questions if the house is unoccupied and it is winter in areas with temperatures below 30 degrees: BEFORE the inspection tell client it would be an incomplete inspection if the house was winterized and you couldn’t inspect everything. Tell them it is imperative they get seller to ensure that everything has been turned on for the inspection, to include water, sewage, gas, heat, electric, etc. And as others have said, note the condition when you walk in with pictures, and then note the condition with pictures after the inspection of everything as you depart, so you can prove how you left it. If things are not turned on at the supply, don’t just assume it will be ok to turn them on for the inspection and then turn them off later. Not a good idea…if pipes are already cracked and burst…but not visible…you could be adding to or causing all kinds of damage that may or may not be immediately visible. So avoid turning supply lines on if they are off. And drain lines might have RV anti-freeze in them so if you pour water down the drains you’ll flush that anti-freeze away, so it would need to be replaced. Just be careful with those types of inspections, risk of you creating or causing damage is high if you are not careful about what you do and how you do it.

2 Likes