College Football 2004

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I know there have to be some fans around here, so I thought I would start a thread for horn blowing, rivalries, bragging rights, and predictions. Let’s please keep it friendly, it’s just a game.

I'm a Mississippi State Bulldog man myself, a fan of "underdawgs" you might say. We just hired a new head coach in the offseason (Sylvester Crooms, quarterback coach at the Green Bay Packers) after back-to-back 3 win seasons. Tonight they won the opener against Tulane (on ESPN 2), already 1/3 of last years win total. Hah! We're going to the Super Bowl!...oh yeah, wrong level. Well we're gonna be pretty good, darn it! The real test of the current state of affairs comes next week with the Auburn Tigers in town (on ESPN), but the game everyone is looking to is Nov. 6th at Alabama. They could have hired Crooms last year (and should have). He's an Alabama alumni who player and coached for Bear Bryant, but they passed him over for Mike Shula. I think he'll want that one very badly. We consider any season a success if we beat Bama & Ole Miss.

SO...who wants to speak up for thier team? Got anything this year? If you could only pick one game on your schedule to win, who would you want?

Originally Posted By: awatson

Clemson.

A little scary today barely beating Wake Forrest, but very solid team. Arguably on of the toughest schedules in football this year.

Predict one of the following surprises:
QB Charlie Whitehurst will win Hiesman
or
BCS Contender.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

The avatar to the left says it all.

GO IRISH!

After last night it looks like we're still in the "rebuilding" years. At least they were able to cut the deficit to 3. Our QB, Brady Quinn, only a sophomore, will be heisman material by his senior year (as long as there is someone for him to throw to.)

Every game is a big game for ND. Everyone always plays their best against the Irish. Next week is Michigan. Could be ugly.

I'm going to the ND/Navy game in NJ on Oct. 16th. Can't wait.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

I’m a true diehard Cornhusker fan.

GO NEBRASKA!!!!

This year will be quite interesting. New coach who utilizes the west coast offense. New quarterback, new just about everything. Introducing the west coast offense should take time for the run-oriented offense to get adjusted to. I should be perfectly happy with a little over .500 season. But like any Nebraska fan, I expect nothing less than a National Championship Season. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

John,

I heard rumors yesterday that forward passes were thrown by the Cornhuskers during the game. Any truth to that? icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Hey Pat see you in Michigan soon!..My father inlaw is a PAC 10 official and my wife and I are going to the Washington Irish game in a couple of weeks. I have never been there, looking forward to it very much. Go MICH!

NACHI MAB!

Brian,

As usual Nebraska opened their season with a victory. Their 19th season opener victory. Albeit all against Division I-AA teams. Their 19th victim was Western Illinois (56-17).

Nebraska QB Joe Dailey threw for four touchdowns and ran for two others. Dailey completed 15 of 30 passes for 218 yards with four interceptions and four touchdowns for the day. Yup, that's right 30 passes. All of the TD passes came in the first 20 minutes of the game. A glorious game to watch for a "Husker" fan during the first half.

The second half though was a disaster. A truly sloppy game. 6 turnovers; a 95 yard kick-off return against them, etc., etc., etc. I'm afraid this is going to be a heart-stopping season for us "Husker fans". I can't even imagine what it would have been like if we were playing Oklahoma, Kansas, Oklahoma State, or Texas. If frightens me. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

As usual Nebraska opened their season with a victory. Their 19th season opener victory. Albeit all against Division I-AA teams. Their 19th victim was Western Illinois (56-17).

Believe it or not I'm actually a fan of that approach to the first game. The big team gets a chance to work out the rust & bugs while not taking a loss, the little team gets a chance to knock-off the big boys and a good payday for the program. Win-win, I think.

Nebraska QB Joe Dailey threw for four touchdowns and ran for two others. Dailey completed 15 of 30 passes for 218 yards with four interceptions and four touchdowns for the day. Yup, that's right 30 passes. All of the TD passes came in the first 20 minutes of the game. A glorious game to watch for a "Husker" fan during the first half.

I heard Lee Corso say "The west-coast offense is great for quarterbacks, but Nebraska doesn't have a quarterback." I thought that was harsh and uncalled for, true or not. These are just college players.

I can't even imagine what it would have been like if we were playing Oklahoma, Kansas, Oklahoma State, or Texas. If frightens me.

Yep, it may be a long year. Make like a MS State fan and search for signs of hope. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: jwortham

I will whisper this quietly so I don’t get laughed off the board.

Northwestern Wildcats! ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

jwortham wrote:
I will whisper this quietly so I don't get laughed off the board.

Northwestern Wildcats! ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Jeff,

What happened to them. They were starting to produce some powerful football teams and then all of a sudden - nothing. What's up with that.

You didn't whisper quietly enough.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

High academic standards, student gambling scandals and bad recruiting.

Plus the fact that they are used to losing. A few winning seasons can't seem to overcome an institutional attitude of defeat.

As the chant goes at Ryan Field;

"That's alright, that's okay, you'll work for us someday" ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

And no, I am not an alum. That's why I have to work for a living!

Originally Posted By: psmothers

Originally Posted By: lschmid

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS

Lou Holtz will produce another miracle season!!!

--
Larry Schmid
First Choice Home Inspection,Inc.
South Carolina Chapter President
www.1stchoicehomeinspection.com
A SAFE HOME IS A HAPPY HOME

Originally Posted By: Kirk Smith

USC TROJANS # 1

Kirk Smith

Welcome Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Go Badgers!!!

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

kmcmahon wrote:
Go Badgers!!!

Badgers? Badgers? We don't need no stinking badgers! ![icon_mrgreen.gif](upload://tbe1CncrrOs48cXpHvziOT8r0T3.gif)

Originally Posted By: cprescott

GO NOLES.

? QB

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

Santa Rita Eagles

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hurricanes

Buckeyes

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

mtimpani wrote:
Santa Rita Eagles

Mark, where are they exactly? Are they 1-A, 2-a...?