Comments after Cougar attacks dog...

Posted by ogghead on August 31, 2007 at 10:58 a.m. (Suggest removal)
Pete, glad your dog is ok. Have a great weekend.

Posted by tpon on August 31, 2007 at 11:09 a.m. (Suggest removal)
People should not OWN dogs! They should set them free and let them forage for themselves. If a mountain lion eats them, so be it; that is the natural way. People should not live in the mountains or foothills, as it belongs to nature’s creatures. People should not eat meat or drive cars! People should live in concentrated population centers around light rail ports. People should not have children who will grow up to own SUV’s and consume more of earth’s precious resources! Men should not be out in their yards scaring precious animals! The women should.
SPPOP–Society for the Prevention of People Occupying the Planet
Only in Boulder, CO.

Posted by dragon on August 31, 2007 at 11:25 a.m. (Suggest removal)
tpon-should all people be banished from the earth?

Posted by gsegiet on August 31, 2007 at 12:26 p.m. (Suggest removal)
Based on my extensive animal expertise watching Jack Hannah Animal Adventures and Animal Planet, I would add one more tip: mountain lion repellant. You can buy it at Boulder Army Surplus (get the one with the SPF 30). Or, just cover yourself with bear urine - those big cats have nothing but fear for a big bear.

Posted by dcp.421 on August 31, 2007 at 12:36 p.m. (Suggest removal)
love it. Love the way people think in Boulder. cant wait to get out of Boston and come back.

Posted by LightningRose on August 31, 2007 at 12:49 p.m. (Suggest removal)
Hey dragon, I think your sarcasm meter need re-calibrating. :slight_smile:

Posted by RSTEVE on August 31, 2007 at 12:53 p.m. (Suggest removal)
Hey Dragon you betterrrrrr watch out…

Posted by dragon on August 31, 2007 at 1:30 p.m. (Suggest removal)
sarcasm, no this is serious, if you do not know what an rsteve is then, may luck and good fortune be with you, I wish you all the best

Posted by tpon on August 31, 2007 at 1:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)
"tpon-should all people be banished from the earth?"
Yes, that is our goal…

Posted by pitboss612 on August 31, 2007 at 1:56 p.m. (Suggest removal)
Hey tpon, you say all people should be banished from earth…set an example and start with yourself. Even better, go out with style!! Smear some deer blood on you and go for stroll thru the woods.

Posted by dragon on August 31, 2007 at 2:07 p.m. (Suggest removal)
deer blood will do the trick-The headline will read “2 birds, one stone-Boulder resident does the world a favor, and feeds wildlife at same time”

Posted by hershalsavage on August 31, 2007 at 2:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)
all these Trust Funders buying these big mountain homes here in Colorado get a little upset that wildlife would have the gall to come onto their property, lol.

Posted by sah1 on August 31, 2007 at 5:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)
clearly this is a clever public relations stunt engineered by pete.

Posted by davidhustvedt on August 31, 2007 at 5:50 p.m. (Suggest removal)
I hunt mountain lions every year in Boulder County. Just doing my part to improve the environment.

Posted by Xenu on August 31, 2007 at 6:15 p.m. (Suggest removal)
I’m sure the city and wildlife people will use this as an excuse to kill the mountain lion.

Posted by boldaq on August 31, 2007 at 10:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)
This is absolutely insane. We live in an area where wild maneating animals are allowed to roam free and the attitude is, “Hey, this is their country, if they eat your children, so be it, they were here first”.
I guess it’s just too bad for us humans if we want to enjoy the outdoors with our children and not be eaten alive. This convoluted notion that a wild animals freedom is more important than the life of a human being is responsible for numerous attacks on children and pets and gets worse everyday. In the old days when a wild animal would attack a human the neighbors would band together, track it down and kill it and ten more just like it.
If there were a bunch of murderous humans living in the mountains who might or might not murder you or your children, depending on their mood, their would be swat teams all over that mountain looking for these maniacs and rightly so. But somehow, wild animals get a free pass because they’re…, well, wild animals and not humans.
Wild animals own the mountains, folks, so keep your kids and pets inside. It’s getting worse.
http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld.com/2006/0](http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld.com/2006/04/17/mountain-lion)
attacks-boy-in-colorado/
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/envi](http://www.latimes.com/news/science/environment/la-os-cougar2dec02,1,4709721.story?coll=la-news-environment)
http://denver.yourhub.com/Boulder/Storie](http://denver.yourhub.com/Boulder/Stories/Outdoors/Story~85477.aspx)
Read David Baron’s ‘Beast in the Garden’

Posted by daisy on August 31, 2007 at 11:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)
boldaq-
So after you kill all the keystone predators like mountain lions, be prepared for an assault on all the deer and elk that explode their populations, that is, if they haven’t already starved after eating all the vegetation. Oops! No vegatation and there go all the birds, small mammals, insects, etc. that need it for food and habitat, followed by the hillsides to erosion. I guess your high school biology teacher never got to the ecology unit in your textbook.

Posted by boldaq on September 1, 2007 at 12:23 a.m. (Suggest removal)
You left out ‘global warming’ in that chicken little scenario. There comes a time when you’ve just got to thin the herd. The beasts are coming out of the mountains, now, and have been spotted as far east as Louisville.
Where do the children play, nature boy? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

MACHINE GUN 'EM! And while we’re at it let’s spray a few rounds on the “left lane bandits” who drive along in the passing lane apparently oblivious to the 2,773 cars and trucks lined up behind them.

“BUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDA!”:mrgreen:

Left lane bandits and people who can’t take their fingers out of their a sses and use their signals should be run off the road. Duh!

Cougars like children because they are delectible, just like veal. I love veal why should Cougars be denied the privilege of eating juvenile meat? :shock:

Kinda makes you wonder why NACHI is headquartered in Boulder.

Lotta crazys out there.

They are every where and increasing seems like. When they start reasoning that humans have no right to live in the planet, they have already gone off the deep end. I worry for my grandkids, it is going to get a lot worse.

Must be a location thing.

Use your blinker in Chicago and prepare to be run down. It’s a sign of weakness and will result in you becoming prey! :cool:

I live several thousand feet above Boulder which is higher than Denver which is the Mile High City if that tells you how high up I live. My neighbor called her dog, the dog came running into the front door and a mountain lion came right behind it and into her living room. Happens often. Mountain lions attack things that move fast. Most attacks up here are upon mountain bikers because they are moving so fast, the lion thinks they are prey. Most of the time no one is hurt and the biker is just knocked off his/her bike.

What I don’t much like about being up here is when coyotes take down a deer in my yard and then the bears come, chase the coyotes away and have themselves a little feast all night. It is disgusting. They make more noise eating than Joe Farsetta does. :wink:

Then I know I’m crazy. I’d move to Boulder in a heartbeat if I could afford to (working on it). :mrgreen:
City life and 14,000 foot peaks a few minutes away. The crazies for the most part are the unfortunate, the homeless.

Most serious incidents invoving humans and mountain lions in the Boulder area involve people jogging and biking in the foothills. The big cats think they’re prey and attack. Citizens have been warned about certain areas but are too buzzed to remember. :margarit:

I didn’t realize Nick was posting the same time I was. :smiley: Nick if you know anyone in Boulder hiring please let me know. :wink: