Companies wanting to hire me to do 'Idiot' inspections

Originally Posted By: sdesjardins
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Recently I’ve had two seperate companies contact me about contracting work out to me on a regular basis. They want me to do really simple inspections, ie take 3 pictures and make sure the address is right. Or make sure the blueprints look like the building etc. Or do 1 and 2 page liabilty or physical inspection reports.

Has anybody heard of Granite Construction Inspections or Advanced Field services? Or, better yet has anybody worked for these companies? They both have websites. I just tend not to trust people who only have web sites and people called 'recruiters' talking sales talk on the phone.

Originally Posted By: ssmith3

I do ‘draw’ inspections for Granite. Have been doing them for about 2 months. It’s easy money. I avg 2-3 per week from them. Always get paid never a problem. Just took awhile the first few cause they had to get me set up in the computer system. I now get a check every week from them. They are soon putting everything online. Including filling out the report and uploading the pics. Will need some type of construction experience.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I do granite inspections…lots of NACHI guys here do them.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpope

kmcmahon wrote:
I do granite inspections...lots of NACHI guys here do them.

Yup, me too. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: sdesjardins

Ok, sounds good. These days it really is worth while to check up on these kinds of things. The only way to tell the real deal from some kind of scam is by asking around. I love the internet but at the same time find it hard to trust people I can’t look in the eye icon_smile.gif

I'm glad to hear it works out so well for you guys. I think I'll get a lot of work from them because once I get signed up I'll be their only inspector in about 15 counties.

Still, anybody heard of the other company AFS aka Advanced Field Services? I had both them and granite contact me seperately.

I've been a NACHI member for a while. Don't know why I didn't think to come here sooner. I belong to a message board for my toyota landcruiser so why not for inspections too?

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

What’s Granite’s web site?

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

http://www.graniteloan.com/index.php?page=inspectors_info

Originally Posted By: csessums

Our standard Field Representative fee schedule ranges from $4 to $12 per report for our base traditional Observation product. Our fee scales increase accordingly based on the distance the assignment is located from a major metro region. A wide assortment of additional supplements and photographs are also available for completion. Typically, our non-appointment, standard time service fees are between $8 and $12.

Pulled from the AFS site

Charlie Sessums

You got the website for AFS??

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Originally Posted By: csessums

http://www.afsweb.com/Careers/FieldRepOpp.aspx

Charlie

maybe I’m missing something, but $4 wouldn’t pay for me to get off the couch.

Originally Posted By: kbowles

kmcmahon wrote:
maybe I'm missing something, but $4 wouldn't pay for me to get off the couch.

I agree Kevin, wouldn't hardly pay the gas to get there.

Kevin

--
Life's a journey, not a destination.
Aerosmith

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

csessums wrote:
Our standard Field Representative fee schedule ranges from $4 to $12 per report for our base traditional Observation product. Our fee scales increase accordingly based on the distance the assignment is located from a major metro region. A wide assortment of additional supplements and photographs are also available for completion. Typically, our non-appointment, standard time service fees are between $8 and $12.

Pulled from the AFS site

Charlie Sessums

I looked into this a while back, I don't know how they attract and keep good inspectors, part of the inspection required you to measure the premise and then using a cad-like program draw the building, all for a lousy $9, I told them that they should find someone else.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Lets see…$9.00 an hour or $300.00 for three hours.

Hmmmmm, lets see. The decision is quite hard.![](upload://io3rRvjY7ufSF8RLtLQs1lZajdm.gif)

I guess there are inspectors out there that do have time on their hands and are filling their daily schedules with these draw inspections.
Little money beats no money.

Personally, I'm all set.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: pstack-oconnor

I’m late to this topic but if anyone is still interested I’ve been involved with AFS since I opened my business. The average “inspection” is worth $9 and takes under 5 minutes to see and 2 minutes to type. The trick is working in a tight area so you can see 5-10 per hour. I hardly do them anymore but they kept me going when I started out.

Anyone working for Granite Loan Management??

I have done inspections for them for the past 4 - 5 months

I recently contacted James Killey there because I had several invoices that were outstanding. He called me and said he was surprised that I had not gotten my money and would get it straightened out. I received a check for half of the outstanding invoices but, have not been contacted for any more inspections. There were several projects that I was inspecting that were no where near completion.

So my ??? is, has anyone else had a problem like this?? ask about payment and then get dropped or is it just that most contractors “slow down” during this time??

Scott Smith

Marinspection

So far I’ve gotten all my money from them…usually takes two weeks to get paid, which isn’t bad.

They recently picked up wells fargo and bank one (because chase bought them), so business has picked up on my end a bit, but mostly for final inspections for bank one. I did two today.

They have so much work, I don't know how they keep it all strait. Apparently sometimes they don't.

--

Originally Posted By: rsummers

I have never had a problem getting paid. Its a good gig for extra cash also good fill in work between Inspections.

OK, I just sent an e-mail to Jim @ granite and I got 2 faxes right after for inspections. Sent a fax about outstanding invoices (2). Guess it must be getting slow right now.

All is well in Scott’s little world. icon_biggrin.gif

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Originally Posted By: tallen

I always get paid within 2 weeks.