New Construction Help

Originally Posted By: jbarnes1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I don’t want to sound stupid or anything to my fellow members, but I do have a ??>I am new (2 paid inspections) and got a hit off the find an inspector site. I am pasting the email he wrote me and hope I can get some pricing ideas and feedback from you guys so I can call him and hopefully get a new client. Any feedback is appreciated.

>>>Dear Sir(s),

I will be building a few homes in the Apple Valley area. {I include in that area everything in a 25 mile radius from Edwards AFB}

As you can see from my location, it is more than just a small drive for me. Therefore, what i am looking for is a home inspector that works quite often in that area that would be willing to do drive bys with their digital cameras onboard and
take pictures so that they could email me the progress of the building process. I hope that is stated clearly. I would like someone to take frequent pictures of the excavations, utility work, stucco work, etc. This will eliminate my having to make round trips that will be nothing more than a Royal Pain in the ASSets, if you know what i mean.

If there is some thing that we could work out on a monthly, or trip basis, that would be grand.

If you have any desire to do this, please contact me via email. I work best in the email manner, but have no problem using a phone, as well.<<<

I don't know what to say or charge this guy (I would say around 85-100 per hour is the going rate around here) or how much time to spend onsite. I did attend ITA's new construction class a couple of years ago, but w/o experience I am lost. Please help???
Thanks,
Dan

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

If I was doing a construction draw inspection I get $50.00. If I was doing a construction phase inspection I get $100.00.

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

sounds good to me, i think he is looking for only progress drive by’s. thanks for the input.

Originally Posted By: jmurray

If I do a construction draw inspection I get $75.00 (Granite).

If I do a construction phase inspection I get $150.00 per phase, for 4 phases.

“A little less conversation and a little more action”!

Originally Posted By: tschwalbe

I get $2,000.00 paid up front for weekly pictures plus progress report.

Acomplete report at completion and a home warrentee inspection at 10 month after completion. Its a bargain They are easy to do but you need to know what you are looking for durring all construction stages. However even at 2k per structure it pays much less per hour than regular inspections. It is a lot of driving and you may need to do your inspections at day break because some builders wont permit you on their job site.

Dont take a deposite or pay as you go or you will most likly get burned. They take all of the information you have been feeding them along the way then they tell you they dont need you any more and you dont get the rest of your money.

The price I quoted was for structures up to 3k sq ft Dont waste your time for less. I hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: rgallahorn

I’m following a 13 home sub-division thru for the investor. I’ve contracted for 3 visits per home, Framing, Roughed-in, and Final punch(2@~1 hr & 1@~2hr). I got a 10% deposit on all 13 and then I draw at each inspection. No pay no more inspection. 1800 sqft $475 each home

Figure your est hours for each month * $100/hr and ask for a deposit.

Originally Posted By: rchoreyii

John,

This is some advice someone gave to me once about phase inspections.

"These are known as phase inspections. I strongly encourage you to pass an exam offered by the International Code Council (ICC) prior to putting yourself in a position you don't want to be in. Phase inspections are very profitable, but, most construction companies will require you carry $$$ worth of insurance before they will let you on site. Passing the ICC is still not enough. You should be extremely competent in construction. From the footing to trusses to wiring. If you sign off a phase that turns out to be defective, your on the hook. A building inspector may not have the time to fully check everything about the home. This puts you at risk. In the search bar type ICC. This will pull up prior posts on this subject. "

Also do some research on inspecting and using pictures. I understand using pictures can catch you in the rear end if not careful on how and what you take them of.

Be carefull and best of luck

--
Ron Chorey
LAS CRUCES Home Inspections
rchorey@comcast.net
rchoreyii@nm.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: rmoore2

I charge 150.00 per phase on new construction up to 3,000 sq ft. (4 phases) <br /> It must be no more than 80 miles away. (one-way) I charge a little more for distance. <br /> Draw inspections from 50.00 to $ 80.00…

just my $ 0.02

Thanks, RM

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) www.prohomechek.com ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Braves win the 14th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

jmurray wrote:

John, Do you get 75.00 for ALL Granite inspections? I get 50.00 for the local ones, and 75.00 for the ones that involve a little more driving. I may have to negotiate a higher price!! ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: tschwalbe

Good advice Ronald I thind the guy was looking for something more than phase inspections it looked like he wanted weekly up dates?

definately good advise Ronald, this guy was looking for basic draw type inspections, (so he can pay his contractors when they say they are done) no concerns list necessary, just pics of completions and progress, so I did quote him 75 per drive by (still kinda cheap considering 1-1.5 hrs onsite drive time incl. plus uploading and email time on the comp. etc, etc…) anyway, anything for a little business, eh??? Thanks for all the response, fellas. i learned alot on this subject alone this NACHI board rules!

Originally Posted By: jmurray

jhugenroth wrote:
jmurray wrote:

John, Do you get 75.00 for ALL Granite inspections? I get 50.00 for the local ones, and 75.00 for the ones that involve a little more driving. I may have to negotiate a higher price!! ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Yes, I get 75.00 for ALL Granite Inspections.
Gas is expensive now and the $50.00 they give you is obsolescent for the times.

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!