Concrete/tile roof on 5 story building. Credits?

This condo building has tile over concrete. There’s a 2015 re-roof permit for the tile portion. It seems like there will be conflicting info if it is Concrete RDA and Structural RTW connection if the tile roof is listed for FBC. Thoughts?

Cory, give me a call on this one. Something is amiss…

I have seen this many times. There is a flat structural concrete roof deck with perimeter trusses to give the appearance of a hip roof. I usually give the structural roof deck credit for the roof to wall and roof deck even though the trusses and plywood would yield a weaker level. This is one of those grey areas that the form does not cover. However, having said that, the concrete roof deck under the trusses does not have any water proofing whereby the flat roof area does (ie rolled asphalt) … so if the trusses fly off you may get a little water intrusion depending on how the structural concrete deck was constructed

These pics show the same thing as what i think you have — Truss facade at perimetr of flat concrete structural deck




That was my take too.

Why does a condo ( individual unit) policy care? It isn’t insuring the roof…

Unit owners still get insurance on their contents and interior finishes (cabinetry, flooring etc.) ---- If they want windstorm coverage protection then the wind mitigation report comes into play. For example, if the roof blows off the condo association will pay for the new roof, but not for loss of individual contents and finishes.

I always did find it funny that a roof on the 20th story can give a discount for the guy on floor 1.

We pretty much follow the same

You are confusing roof covering with roof-to-wall connection, and further confusing the issue for inspectors by doing so. These are the issues created by trying to qualify commercial structures with a residential wind mitigation form.

The form is for use with residential structures only…this is not a residential structure. Yes, it has more than 5 units, but it is also 5 stories high. Where would you mark the “small missile impact” requirements for those units above 30’?

If you’re a licensed “home Inspector”, common areas of the structure are not part of your licensure:

(2) “Home” means any residential real property, or manufactured or modular home, which is a single-family dwelling, duplex, triplex, quadruplex, condominium unit, or cooperative unit. The term does not include the common areas of condominiums or cooperatives.

Common areas is legally interpreted as “common elements” within the Florida statutes for condos:

718.103 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, the term: 8. “Common elements” means the portions of the condominium property not included in the units.

If you are a licensed Home Inspector, this inspection is outside of the scope of your licensure as you are not listed as qualified to complete the forms the structure requires for inspection of the common elements such as the roof covering and structure…that includes windows.

There are other forms for use with commercial structures, and you may not be qualified to complete them depending on your licensure. If you are relying on what form an insurer tells you to use, I hope you have good insurance.

No, I’m not confusing the roof to wall with the roof covering… read what I wrote again. Not sure how you even derived that from what I wrote.

And – I know all about the commercial form — However, please show me one lawsuit where an inspector has been sued for using the OIR 1802 for individual condo units on high rises. What a crock of ****e!

It’s amazing how you can be technically right, yet so far away fromevery day realities.

I’ll bite…show me on the form where you mark “small missile impact” for the units located 30’ to 60’ above grade?

Let me go a bit further…The 1802 is for residential only, how do I know this? “HOME” is defined as residential, and what does the first question ask?

1. : Was the structure built in compliance with the Florida Building Code (FBC 2001 or later) OR for homes located in the HVHZ (Miami-Dade or Broward counties), South Florida Building Code (SFBC-94)?

A. Built in compliance with the FBC: Year Built _. For homes built in 2002/2003 provide a permit application with
a date after 3/1/2002: Building Permit Application Date (MM/DD/YYYY) //

B. For the HVHZ Only: Built in compliance with the SFBC-94: Year Built _____. For homes built in 1994, 1995, and 1996
provide a permit application with a date after 9/1/1994: Building Permit Application Date (MM/DD/YYYY) //

I have already provided the definition of “home” for everyone. Just because and insurer agent tells you to use that form doesn’t make it right. Would you let a real estate agent tell you what form to use for you home inspection reports?

Look ahead instead of down at your feet. What would be the issue with providing a legal affidavit to an insurer verifying components that were outside of the scope of a Home Inspector’s licensure? Think about it…

**From the O.I.R.: **Homeowners: A personal residential property policy covering a dwelling used exclusively for residential purposes.

From the OIR-B1 1802: Homeowner to complete: I certify that the named Qualified Inspector or his or her employee did perform an inspection of the residence identified on this form and that proof of identification was provided to me or my Authorized Representative.