Condenser pad attachment

Best check with the local AHJ about securing structural components and equipment.

I believe this Texas Windstorm link is relevant and applies in similar form with provisions to most coastal regions of the U.S.

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/wind/bldcode/410.html

Earthquakes aren’t the only forces in Nature to contend with when securing construction components.

Very good information Barry but it does seem to only apply to certain coastal counties of Texas like you say. See Section 101. I still don’t see any applicability for inland applications, do you?

MRB,

No, that’s why I started with:

Best check with the local AHJ about securing structural components and equipment.

The Texas windstorm information explains to other posters and readers there are instances that prove out this practice.

The information contained on the Windstorm Inspection Program’s webpage is applicable only to structures located in the following 14 First Tier Counties along the Texas Gulf Coast as indicated in section 3(k)(1) of Article 21.49 of the Insurance Code: Aransas, Brazoria, Calhoun, Cameron, Chambers, Galveston, Jefferson, Kenedy, Kleberg, Matagorda, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Willacy or in one of the cities east of State Highway 146 in Harris County (La Porte, Morgan’s Point, Pasadena, Seabrook, Shoreacres) if the property owners are seeking wind and hail coverage through the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association.

Higher standards are this Inspectors goal.

We have had a rash of AC thefts around the metroplex for metals salvage.
2 guys can cut and run with an unsecured unit. More difficult with a 90# concrete pad attached to the bottom. Lines may be cut, refrigerant lost, but unit is left in place, after they figure it out. Insurers are more apt to pay a claim if homeowner has taken reasonable precautions.

I think it’s a great idea to secure units and I make it a point to tell clients there are reasons to bolt the units down. I’ve inspected along the coast and have found units unsecured or secured to light-weight pads. Even their inspectors don’t enforce the codes.

I have found NO information that says securing a unit may cause damage.

I don’t note it as a repair outside the 14 counties in reports, just provide the upgrade information across the state.

I have always called out condenser units that are not attached due to the reference made by IRC 11101.3 Protection. Please correct me if I misunderstood it.

In Northern NJ they’re never held done by anything other than gravity.

2 Likes

I did HVAC for a long time, I can not remember ever seeing a bolted down unit, except on a wall mounted rack (once in a while).

They must be really building houses good now to be looking so hard for stuff.

I think that is from people coming across the border maybe…

Now that I think about it, I did lag an HVAC Unit to the floor joist in the crawlspace of a rental property with a logging chain! The previous unit (a package unit) was stolen in broad daylight. The funny thing was the compressor motor shaft had broken off of the scroll and would run but not pump. Never saw a scroll compressor do that. Sure wish I was a fly on the wall when they tried to get that thing up and running! :joy:

2 Likes

Condensing unit attachment been part of the Florida Building Code for years. They even require a “rated” tie down device.

It’d be a huge missile if it wasn’t!

I don’t recall ever seeing one bolted down here, Mine sits on wall brackets…sits not attached to…

If they put it in the Fla HI SOP than I recommend you write it up.

2 Likes