Condo & HOA

I live at the beach and inspect a lot of high rise condos. Do you guys have a HOA statement you use in the report? Do you take pictures of roof, pools, tennis courts for courtesy? I always go up to the roof to check the a/c system as most are on the top.

Just purchased hip pro and trying to get everything customized, so I would appreciate any tips from you condo guys.

Thanks

your discretion ]

How do you access locked roof access doors/hatches on the high rise buildings.

There’s either someone on duty or a office. Sometimes there is just a lockbox on the roof door. If that’s the case I just call the management company that services the condo and they usually give me a combination

Nope. Just the interior space. I do recommend that the buyer check on whose responsibility it is for items are that are not inside (such as a roof-top condenser), examine the CC&Rs and minutes of the last 12 monthly meetings, the latest financial statement, and walk the property to satisfy themselves as to maintenance habits.

Only look at things that are the responsibility of the home owner unless something external poses a threat to the property

I inspect a lot of condos, and I always make sure to get roof access from the building manager so I can inspect the AC system as you mentioned. But l also get access to the electrical panel room so I can inspect the meter, main shutoff, and service entry. Basically, I try to give the client as much information as possible, even if it’s only showing the location of these items for future reference. Association owned and maintained items like the pool and tennis courts do not need to be inspected, but it’s always nice to walk the property with the client and answer any questions he or she may have.

http://www.prestohomeinspection.com

I have this in my condo agreement,
“You understand that we will inspect only your condominium unit. Our inspection will not include any inspection of common areas or other spaces you do not own. We may offer comments concerning our observations of common areas as a courtesy. You agree that any comments concerning common areas, or any lack of comments concerning common areas, shall not give rise to any claim against us.”
I actually found this on nachi.org

I am always surprised by how many inspectors are to lazy or not caring enough to look at exterior areas of small buildings which directly affect the clients.

They must to busy trying to market.

Might have something to do with specific states.

Roofs, exterior walls, walk ways that directly affect the unit, attic spaces above the unit if accessible, yes. I am there is give the client as much information as possible.

The other day I actually had the HOA’s building manager show me where the stair case was hidden and said have at it.

As for common area swimming pools, tennis courts, and other common areas that do not directly affect the unit, no.

This is what I use for my condominium reports;

The exterior and building envelope of a condominium is typically the responsibility of the condominium association. An exterior inspection shall be limited to potential safety and security defects that should be reported to the association. The building envelope is the separation between heated (conditioned) space of the interior and exterior, and generally includes the basement, windows, exterior doors, storm doors, garage doors, balcony and balcony doors, roof and attic for damage, wear, leaks or penetrations.

The condominium association documents should be consulted to verify what is the responsibility of the home owner and what is the responsibility of the condominium association. Home owners are typically prohibited from modifying anything that is the responsibility of the condominium association.

Good info Russel - in my opinion far too many buyers are unaware that there is considerable due diligence for them to do. Even the lawyers in states that require them for transactions are not always fully aware. And, NEVER trust a disclosure statement!