conduit

Maybe all you need to do is to spend a night at Holiday Inn.:slight_smile:

Without a knowledgeable reference as to acceptable practices how are you to properly judge during an inspection?

How would you know if the actual placement was acceptable or that it was not rated for underground burial? These conditions ARE what is called out in the Code.

I’m not color blind and I can read the print on the sheathing…headbang.gif

Again not trying to sound smart or belittling but you wouldn’t last long in NC if you didn’t call it out knowing that it is wrong.

With all the talk about law suits on this forum I would think that you would have a concern about something that you know is wrong and want to call it out.

NM cable is not allowed in a wet location and exposed to weather is a wet location.

Thank you kindly. I don’t come here to argue code.

That’s for the other guys who get bored with their lives.

I inspected a commercial facility last month where they had run NM from the service box for an outdoor sign…buried under about three to six inches of dirt and mud…for a length of 50 feet to a parking lot light.

NM has some very interesting uses in creative hands.:wink:

Yup…

http://www.toddjen.net/Kitchen/0412.jpg

http://www.adiinspections.com/report/i0000008.jpg

Romex cannot be used under the following conditions, or in the following locations:

Where exposed to corrosive fumes or vapors

Where embedded in masonry, concrete, adobe, fill, or plaster

In a shallow chase in masonry, concrete, or adobe and covered with plaster, adobe, or similar finish

In wet or damp locations

Joe,

As long as it looks good it is Ok to run NM outside.:mad:

Having to know all that Code stuff really slows down an inspection.:mrgreen:

I think I just found out how to save tons of time on my next rough-in.

An insulated ground conductor is required. The UV thing and physical damage is valid, but the initial question came to Romex installed in conduit. The construction of the cable is at issue; not the UV damage or physical damage. So, I agree with Mike W that technically it is not allowed. Whether the rule is enforced is another discussion.

My understanding is that the ussue with Romex comes down to the interpretation of what an insulated ground conductor is. In Romex, the ground is actually un-insulated (bare wire we all see). Some electricians argue that the non-metallic sheathing is the insulation. Technically, this is incorrect. The issue comes to whether the physal conductor has its own insulated jacket.

This is not to say that electricians dont install Romex in this application all the time. Its also not saying that the AHJ may not okay it.

Its just the science behind what Mike Whitt is stating, and technically he is correct.

The other purpose of conduit it to allow individual conductors to be run through them, as opposed to a jacketed cable. In fact, stuffing too many jacketed cables in to the physical space within a conduit is also not permitted.

Admittedly, I never quote code because I am not a code technocrat.

Mike… is this what you are getting at?

UF cable is a type of romex and it is listed for exterior use. It is sunlight resistant. Regular romes NM-B is not listed for use outdoors subject to oisture. It has a paper liner.

Joe, what application are you referring to that an insulated ground is required?
The main place an insulated ground is mandatory is for pool and spa equipment.
I don’t see anything here that would mandate an actual insulated ground.

“Romex” is a brand name. Romex is a type of NM.

So the code says installation in AZ is fine then. :smiley:

We see it here under patio covers all the time, which is outside, and out of the weather. Man electricians are a snarky bunch.:stuck_out_tongue:

No it is not OK to run it outside, the rule is specific NM is not allowed in wet or damp locations! :mad:

"Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

Location, Dry. A location not normally subject to dampness or wetness. A location classified as dry may be temporarily subject to dampness or wetness, as in the case of a building under construction.

Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather."

334.12(B)(4): Clarified by specifying “wet or damp locations.”

(B) Types NM and NMS. Types NM and NMS cables shall not be used under the following conditions or in the following locations:
(1) Where exposed to corrosive fumes or vapors
(2) Where embedded in masonry, concrete, adobe, fill, or plaster
(3) In a shallow chase in masonry, concrete, or adobe and covered with plaster, adobe, or similar finish
**(4) In wet or damp locations **

Editorially revised for the 2008 Code, this section now uses defined terms in the requirement.

I agree, in Arizona it’s fine. :mrgreen:

I think we can all agree if there is a place WITHOUT excessive moisture it’s Az. :mrgreen:

Joe,

You missed my point entirely. It was a joke.

I believe I was the first to tell David that this installation was wrong. He said he doesn’t do code and as long as it looks good it passes his inspection.

My next part was about all the time I can save by ignoring Code when I install.

Everything else you posted was posted several times before.

As I stated earlier, I see NM branch wiring on the exterior almost every day.

Here’s one from yesterday…
IMG_2345.JPG
IMG_2347.JPG

Oops! :mrgreen: I was not sure, and still must advise that the product is not allowed in a damp or wet location, exposed or in a raceway underground, or in raceway above ground, this was clarified in the 2008 NEC, and only to clear up the questions, the product is not allowed in a damp or wet location.

Tell that to the client.

Here’s a proposal form for those who have other opinions if they want to change the rules.