Cord and plug connected hood fans

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Fact:

Hood fans in dwelling unit kitchens are permitted to be cord and plug connected, but must be supplied by an individual branch circuit.

Originally Posted By: lkage

No kidding?

If they are direct wired can they share a circuit?

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: whandley

A range hood exhaust fan does not pull enough juice to require a dedicated circuit. Their never on dedicated circuits. If its a microwave combination with exhaust fan, its dedicated. If I am mistaken, can you please list the specific code section for reference? I find bathroom exhaust fans with more amp draw than range hood exhaust fans and their not on dedicated circuits either. icon_idea.gif

Section 422.16(B)(4) was added to the 2005 Code.

Hi Joe; 422.16 appears to address the cord issue. Can you please provide the code section on the required dedicated circuit for a simple range hood exhaust fan system. I believe the entire state of california may be non-code compliant in that regard. Can you please also advise why such a low amp draw appliance would need a dedicated circuit? Would bathroom ceiling exhaust fans, which typically draw more amps also be required to have dedicated circuits? Thanks for your help…

Quote:
422.16(B)(4) Range Hoods. Range hoods shall be permitted to be cord-and-plug connected with a flexible cord identified as suitable for use on range hoods in the installation instructions of the appliance manufacturer, where all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The flexible cord is terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.

Exception: A listed range hood distinctly marked to identify it as protected by a system of double insulation, or its equivalent, shall not be required to be terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.

(2) The length of the cord is not less than 450 mm (18 in.) and not over 900 mm (36 in.).

(3) Receptacles are located to avoid physical damage to the flexible cord.

(4) The receptacle is accessible.

(5) The receptacle is supplied by an individual branch circuit.

Quote:
2005 NECH Commentary:

Section 422.16(B)(4) was added to the 2005 Code to allow range hoods to be cord-and-plug-connected under five specific prerequisite conditions. A grounding-type attachment plug is not required where the range hood is identified as protected by a system of double insulation. One method of verifying such protection is to look for the mark of a testing laboratory.

Quote:
210.11(C)(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.

Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).

FPN: See Examples D1(A), D1(B), D2(B), and D4(A) in Annex D.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: cbuell

So a plug-in type hood would require a dedicated circuit but a hard-wired hood would not?

OK Joe, I get it now. This was a test! I’m thinking dedicated circuit, but your original post states branch circuit. Branch circuits can have multiple outlets and or small appliances on a common branch circuit. So the range hood can have a cord and plug system, but must NOT have anything else plugged into that individual outlet. That would also allow us to have multiple bathroom outlets on a common GFCI protected branch circuit. Is this correct?

http://www.statefarm.com/consumer/vhouse/articles/overload.htm

Thank you again.

I believe the state of california may now be code compliant ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

whandley wrote:
OK Joe, I get it now. This was a test! I'm thinking dedicated circuit, but your original post states branch circuit. Branch circuits can have multiple outlets and or small appliances on a common branch circuit. So the range hood can have a cord and plug system, but must NOT have anything else plugged into that individual outlet. That would also allow us to have multiple bathroom outlets on a common GFCI protected branch circuit. Is this correct?

http://www.statefarm.com/consumer/vhouse/articles/overload.htm

Thank you again.

I believe the state of california may now be code compliant ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

My original message said "individual branch circuit."

There is no definition of a dedicated branch circuit.

Here's the definition for:

Branch Circuit, Individual. A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.

--

Hi Joe;

Today's inspection. 1600'sf. built in 2002. Kitchen exhaust fan pulls 1.5 amps and branched to a circuit including the kitchen ceiling florescent lighting and adjacent dining room outlet, maybe more, but that's all I could find, its labeled "convenience" at panel. Exterior patio outlet and two bathroom outlets were GFCI protected off a garage fire wall mounted GFCI outlet. Are you suggesting that we should have three more individual branch circuits for the range hood and each bathroom? If so, what would your verbiage be in a report?

Thanks again!

Better check with the local building department and find out what edition of the code was used and if they have any amendments. My references are from the 2005 NEC.