Corregated Plastic Ridge Vent??

I ran across this today and I’m scratching my head. It was terribly hot and humid and the attic was miserable. I didn’t stay up there for long but I put my hand between the roof decking and the ridge vent and there was no gap at all. On the roof side, there is corrugated plastic material under the ridge shingles but I don’t see how the air can exit the attic without any gaps.

Now there were gaps present between the siding and soffit leaving the OSB sheathing exposed to the elements.

What is it that I’m missing? The home was built in 2001.

Siding Gaps.jpg

Ridge Vent Exterior.jpg

It vents through the corrugated plastic, I have this on my house. It’s designed to prevent outside weather infiltration.

Of course the siding is missing the J-channel, but you new that.

Looking at the link from the mfg it makes sense. But there wasn’t any fiber between the roof and the corrugated plastic as shown in the link you sent to me. So tell me how the air gets from the attic through the plastic? Maybe the installer forgot something…

It looks like it might be installed upside down. It’s a one piece design, the fiber (film) is glued to underside. It comes flat and you fold it over the ridge. May be why it looks so wavy on the exterior side. Probably the same guy that installed the siding.

That could very well be what happened. I couldn’t see under the ridge shingles but the good news is if they ever leak, the water will have a place to run onto the roof rather than in the attic :D. This is one of those houses that I shouldn’t find anything “wrong”…It’s a new house.

There’s never anything wrong with a “new” house, why do even waste our clients money inspecting them. :wink:

Sounds like the realtors around here.:roll:

I have never inspected a new home where I did not find at least one major problem, usually faulty or improperly installed electrical components.