Coupons or not

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

gromicko wrote:
Add the following words to any coupons to be given to home buyers via agents:

"Not an endorsement of ABC Inspections by your real estate professional."

Nick

I think this is great advice and I'm getting ready to print up some labels to stick on my already printed material.

Not to split hairs on the verbiage but as an Inspector, I am a Real Estate Professional. I think "by your Realtor" may be a better choice of words for me.

Opinions?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: mpatton

John,

Nice point!
Quote:
Not to split hairs on the verbiage but as an Inspector, I am a Real Estate Professional. I think "by your Realtor" may be a better choice of words for me.

One thought better!?

"Not an endorsement of ABC Inspections by your Realtor?."

Any words of wisdom?

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: David Smith

Coupons given out by agents is a conflict of interest in my opinion and could lead to legal problems for both parties down the road, at least in my neck of the woods.

David Smith

Professional Building Inspections

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Michael,

How did you make that little r thingy?

David, You'd have to explain that one to me further. How so?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: mpatton

John,

The one that is above I cut and pasted from a realestate site however this one is in ms word / fonts/ symbols ?. Ideally this is spaced about half the way up on the other characters and somewhat smaller but I cannot get it to function correctly here on the board.

? Represents Realtors belonging to the National Association of Realtors.

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Michael:

Not all real estate agents are REALTORs. Ony about 1/2 of all real estate agents are REALTORs (belong to the NAR).

The NAR is like NACHI. Not all inspectors are members of NACHI.

Nick

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Quote:
? Represents Realtors belonging to the National Association of Realtors.

In point of fact, ? merely means "Realtor" is a registered trademark.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: rray

Here’s the best explanation I’ve ever found, which I took from the Louisiana Realtors web site:

REALTOR? - A registered collective membership mark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the National Association of REALTORS? and subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics.

When you tell someone you're a REALTOR?, you're saying you are well informed about the real estate business, you're a member of the largest trade association in the United States, and you subscribe to a strict Code of Ethics.

It's one word that means a lot--and it's important to keep it that way. Why? The term REALTOR? is the one universal way members can distinguish themselves from others in the real estate profession. If your board accomplishes something good for the community, for example, you can share in the goodwill that generates by using the term REALTOR? to identify yourself as a member.

Every time someone uses the term REALTOR? incorrectly, it allows the public to think the term describes anyone with a job in real estate, thus diminishing the word's ability to help you stand out. Here are some rules to help you protect your membership marks.

Rules of general use

The terms REALTOR?, REALTORS?, REALTOR-Associate?, and the block "R" logo should be used only when talking about members of NAR. The terms refer to membership, not the jobs real estate licensees perform. So when you're asked what you do for a living, you should describe your profession by saying you're a real estate broker or salesperson. Then use the term REALTOR? to indicate you're also a member of NAR and committed to a strict Code of Ethics.

Other important rules:

Never use descriptive words to modify the term REALTOR?.
? Incorrect: commercial REALTOR?, full-time REALTOR?

Whenever possible, set the term REALTOR? in all uppercase letters with the federal registration symbol, ?. When that format is impossible or impractical, all uppercase letters alone or an uppercase R followed by lowercase letters and the registration symbol are also acceptable.
? Incorrect: realtor; Acceptable: REALTOR, REALTOR?; Correct: REALTOR?

REALTORS? often want to use the term REALTOR? as part of their company name.
Two main rules govern this use:
1) REALTOR? may be used with a company name but may not be part of the name.
2) REALTOR? must be separated from the company name by some form of punctuation, even when they appear on separate lines.
? Incorrect: ABC REALTORS?; Correct: ABC Real Estate, REALTORS?
or ABC, REALTORS?

For Internet usage, keep in mind the following rules:
1) As always, when used as part of a domain name or Internet address, the term REALTOR? must refer to a member or a member's company.
2) Just as in printed materials, the term REALTOR? may not be used with descriptive words or phrases or used to describe another word or phrase.
? Incorrect: numberonerealtor.com, chicagorealtors.org, or realtorproperties.com
3) For domain names and Internet addresses only, the term REALTOR? may appear in lowercase letters and doesn't have to be separated from the member's name or company name by punctuation.
Correct: johndoerealtor.com and jdoerealtors@webservices.com

Protection of the REALTOR? membership marks depends on you. With proper use, the marks grow in value as they become more firmly connected in the public mind with quality and professionalism.
Unquote

Note that many local Realtor associations require one to be a member of NAR in order to be a member of the location association. For example, our San Diego Association of Realtors and the California Association of Realtors require membership in NAR. That's because Realtor is a NAR registered trademark that they allow SDAR and CAR to use, as well as most other Realtor associations in other states. In order to use it, though, NAR requires that SDAR and CAR members be members of NAR as well.

![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

I’d probably disagree with Nick concerning the percentage of real estate agents who are members of NAR. In ten years of working in real estate here in San Diego, I’ve never met an agent who was not a member of NAR. They all have Realtor® on their business cards. They are quite proud of the fact because it does mean that they are more than a “mere salesperson.”

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

I was going to discuss coupons under the Marketing thread, but I guess we’ll discuss it here. Give me a few minutes (and a margarita).

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Actually, in seeing where this thread is, I’ll pass on posting anything here. I am more comfortable posting this kind of stuff in our Members Only section. See me over there.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: adeerey

They do work for the client that needs the help - I agree with above

DO A GREAT JOB AND A PROFFESIONAL INSPECTION

What I have done is some promos that really worked well

Dont give money off Do a promo
"If you dont live around here dont copy the first one

"Its Hurricane Season" - We then have a flashy letter and add about us and just a quick line about the season - We gave away a 8.00 Dollar Mag Light flashlight with each home inspeciton. That ties in the Hurricane to the Flashlight

"Its Fire Season" - Same as a above except we gave away a Fire exstiguisher - Sams 11.00 bucks

So my point is yes Coupons or deals do get attention, but I dont think people will go for 50.00 bucks off

But they love a free flashlight?

If you would like a copy of the coupons I have just email me I will send them [url]

Aj
www.Slab2shingles.com
[/url]

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Slab 2 Shingles. Dang, that’s about as catchy as B4U Close. Neat.

I like the idea of the giveaway. People do like that kind of stuff. And it's cheaper than a $25.000 or $50.00 off coupon.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

ecrofutt wrote:
I like the idea of the giveaway. People do like that kind of stuff. And it's cheaper than a $25.000 or $50.00 off coupon.

I use a $20 coupon, and it's about the size of a $20 bill. Hmmmm. Wonder why that is. Marketing perhaps?

People can go down and buy their own flashlight or fire extinguisher. They cannot buy $20 off for my home inspection, so I see my $20 coupon as much more valuable than a flashlight or fire extinguisher, which, in actuality, of course, it is. I also don't pretend to know what someone might or might not like (flashlight, fire extinguisher, food, gas, whatever). However, I have never met a person who didn't like extra money in his pocket, good ol' fashioned money, which my $20 coupon gives him.

There are many things that work as far as marketing goes. The issue for me is one of convenience for me and my target audience. My $20 coupon slips nicely into wallets so they can carry quite a few around, which many do. I also carry quite a few around so that I can distribute them to someone who asks at the local gas station, grocery story, etc. Additionally, coupons can be printed three at a time, 50 at a time, etc., and changed on a moment's notice. It's difficult to order a minimum 100 flashlights or fire extinguishers with my name on them and then having the yahoos at City Council change the name of my street or the yahoos at the phone company change my area code.

All factors considered, I believe coupons are the easiest and most inexpensive to work with, especially for start-up and growth companies. I save the material goods for my maturity phase, which I believe I am entering. I have a lot of things on my plate this year to try, so stay tuned to this thread, of course.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

I am actully in the “Maturity phase” as quoted above so maybe I have mislead a few people.

I also live in a area where the average home price is about 500k So 20 bucks does not really matter when you spend 855,000 on a condo?

but if it goes dark .... They can use the flashlight?
If they have a fire ..... They can put it out

As for ease Use Home Depot - Get 5 of each and use them, If your add runs out .... Then return them

If you look at the stats the biggest thing you can do in the begining is survive! You will get the reputation and the referals if you do a good job.

I choose to carry cards in my wallet and not to play off the 20 thing but giving out 1 million cards and brochures a year does pay off.
You need Name Reconizition and a reputation

Coupons, Flashlight, mouse pads and such are tools just like a moisture meter.

The quality of the inspector and the quality of the report are what builds the business. This is the second company I have started from Nothing in this business.

First was in IL
Moved to FL

After two.5 years we are doing 650-800 inspections a year. That is plenty in my book.

I spend on average 2500 dollars a month in postage and advertising.

I have sold my company as a "Franchise" Kinda a franchise more like a company in a box to 13 people. They all have done well there first year thru a simple marketing plan

"Do everything you can to make your reputation and name stand on itself" the rest is just Marketing 101

Have fun
Aj

Hey you compete with my Brother In law

All of my wifes side of the family run the Ptp's in Ohio and Ky

Terry Yeager is the PTP guy in Northern kentucky. Gotta admit being a EKU grad I love the area

Have fun
AJ

adeerey wrote:
I also live in a area where the average home price is about 500k So 20 bucks does not really matter when you spend 855,000 on a condo?

Hmmmmm. My area is similar. The average price of homes here is $493,000 as of November 2003. December stats should be available shortly. It's funny because $20 really does seem to matter out here. We did a $2.2 milliion condo a couple of months ago, 1336 SF, and, sure enough, Mr. Buyer, from Paris (France, not Texas), used one of our $20 coupons that the Realtor had for him. Made them both feel good.

adeerey wrote:
As for ease Use Home Depot - Get 5 of each and use them, If your add runs out .... Then return them

The problem is that Home Depot doesn't customize them. I am totally against spending $8, $11, or any money on any marketing item that does not have my name directly printed on it. Personal prefrence possibly. But marketing schools throughout the nation will teach you to customize your marketing materials.

adeerey wrote:
If you look at the stats the biggest thing you can do in the begining is survive! You will get the reputation and the referals if you do a good job.

Yes, however, we're spending time here trying to get some of these folks through the survivor period so that their reputation and referrals will see them through.

adeerey wrote:
You need Name Reconizition and a reputation

Bingo. So how to get that name recognition quickly and inexpensively? That's our main goal here. But please keep posting the ideas for maturity phase for those who are there and those who soon will be there.

adeerey wrote:
The quality of the inspector and the quality of the report are what builds the business. This is the second company I have started from Nothing in this business.

This is my fifth company, the previous four being in four different industries, and all taken to maturity and then sold to the competition (got bored). I think I'll keep this company for a long time. I don't think boredom will set in since every house, every Client, and every Realtor is different.

Everyone has a business card. Not everyone has a $20 coupon. Cool marketing trick there.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

This is not a debate but just my views -
![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) AJ

PS: They make these things called stickers - You get them printed at any online printer for 38 dollars a roll! Just imagine if you stick them on your item - Wow Name rec! Sorry I assumed people would figure out to label them. My bad! Next time I will put a step by step and make myself more clearer - But I think everyone knew that, It just gave you room to debate.

I am out of here till next weekend - Got a long week it is the SEASON here and every snowbird wants to buy a condo! That is a good thing to us

Have a good one ....
Aj

I haven’t had good success with stickers, of any type, and I’ve tried them all. I just find them to be cheesy, poor, and sloppy looking. And I haven’t found any stickers that will really stick. I bought what I thought were some really cool candy jars for special Realtors, had some expensive stickers made since that was still less expensive than having the jars silk-screened, and stuck them on. It was virtually impossible to get them to stick straight on a curved jar, which made it look tacky. We wasted half the stickers because I won’t distribute tackiness and had to tear the stickers off. Once we had the jars labeled, we put them in the car and went off to an inspection. At the end of the inspection, the labels had melted, slid on the jar, and created a gooey mess because of the heat in the car. The whole project was an abject failure. And that was the expensive stickers. I shudder to think what the inexpensive stickers might have done. I resorted to buying our corporate candy jars, which are very nice silk-screened jars which I get for $4.95. Of course, since I have so much money in my advertising fund now, the jars don’t cost me anything. So now I’m happy again.

I bought a franchise because I wanted the absolute best in marketing materials to which I could then add my own personal touch.

But you are right in that you do need to post step-by-step instructions. I think that's what a lot of people are looking for, those step-by-step instructions to help them get where they want to go. You and I have some step-by-step instructions. I'm posting my and hope you will continue posting yours.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Just for a tidbit of info, I found that the cheap printable non gluing clear static cling stickers worked very well on my candy jars. After 8 months they are still in the same offices, and still look good. Sometimes, the most expensive is so application specific…