Junction Box Covers

Originally Posted By: psmothers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I had a realtor ask me today in a Realtor Snotty Voice “Do you write up missing electrical box covers?” When I said yes she rolled her eyes and walked away. I have always wondered what the statistics are for electrical house fires a year caused by wire splices that are not in boxes… I would love to be able to come back at them with that stat.

Anyone care to field that one??

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

You should have told her to mind her own. After all, you are not there to make the realtor happy.

Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.

–Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: bbadger

I have no idea what the statistics are.

That said a box without a cover is worthless, might as well have done a free air splice.

IMO the lack of box covers signals work done by non-professionals ![icon_mad.gif](upload://j9pysYkUDeHxjgaVCpqL5B8x4z3.gif) and I would take a close look at other aspects of the electrical system.

If the choice where mine I would make note of it.

Bob

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: dvalley

The Realtor don't like it? Too bad.![](upload://mYogEyThjOhgZmSbzFdz5VGaGOh.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

She probably had missing covers come up as an issue in a past transaction that did not go as smoothly as realotrs like. Tell her yes, explain why (the hazzard), and reasure her that you will keep it in perspective. Afterall for the price of the covers and ease of install, it should not be a deal killer.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: psmothers

The really funny thing was it was at a restaurant. I was eating lunch when I ran into a realtor whom I am friendly with. (Known then guy for a while. He sold me my house when I moved here.) He was with the lady who asked me this. He introduced us and she asked me that from the get go.

A was not at all worried about it, I just would really like to be able to rattle some stat of at these dummies sometimes.

Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: jpeck

phinsperger wrote:
She probably had missing covers come up as an issue in a past transaction that did not go as smoothly as realotrs like. Tell her yes, explain why (the hazzard), and reasure her that you will keep it in perspective. Afterall for the price of the covers and ease of install, it should not be a deal killer.

"that you will keep it in perspective"

KEEP IT IN PERSPECTIVE?

Deal killer or not, I'd rather that than a people killer.

So, if the missing cover is way back in the attic, you consider it easy to get to and all?

WE (His) do not create deal killers. The refusal, or inability, of the seller to accommodate the buyer's request (in rare cases, it is the buyer who causes the problem).

The seller typically state that the house is in good condition and nothing is wrong with it. Seldom do they disclose anything on their own Seller Disclosure. Most Listing Agents agree that the house is in good condition and has no problems.

Thus, when we (HIs) find *problems*, it is that either the seller did not know of them or hide them. The *problem* is that the house was not as presented to the buyers. The *problem* is that sellers then refuse to make concessions to compensate the buyer for the fact that the house is not as represented.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jpope

Missing covers? No problem icon_cool.gif

Until it leads to this

You have my permission to show these pics to that agent

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff,

And those were real easy to get to, not in the attic or anything, right? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jpope

When the fire fighters were venting the roof, they were real easy to get to. icon_wink.gif

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Jerry,

"Keeping it in perspective" does not mean down playing it. Is it a concern? - yes. Should it be corrected? - absolutley. When should should it be done? - right away. Is it going to cost a lot of money? - No

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

phinsperger wrote:
Jerry,

"Keeping it in perspective" does not mean down playing it. Is it a concern? - yes. Should it be corrected? - absolutley. When should should it be done? - right away.

Is it going to cost a lot of money? - No

To the last one ... It depends.

Depends on what is considered a lot of money.

I've had clients who, when told it needed a new $20,000 roof, asked me if I thought they could get $2,000 (notice the missing '0'), if so, that would not be a problem.

I've had clients who refused to buy when the seller refused to give them another $50 for other repairs. Now, tell me, who is the jerk there? The buyers ended up with a better house in a better neighborhood. The sellers ended up selling, but a month later - you can bet that it cost the seller a lot more than $50.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: David Suelflow

Does anyone carry covers with them? I’ve often thought of it. I’m already deep in the attic, what the heck, throw a cover on. But then I get a nagging thought having to do with lawyers. I’d be interested in what you guys (and gals) thought.

Dave

Originally Posted By: dvalley

David,

![](upload://7GiJHa9oLOP2YGWNNJqyitFikFi.gif)Annotate it in your report and move on. It?s not worth the trouble.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

missing covers ? this is in the basement of a local sportsman club, many of them all over, they don’t care. Hire an electrician ? Oh that cost to much, we do it ourselves

This was half way down their indoor range

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm