Cut studs on new construction

Just thinking out loud…what if the drywallers pounded on the unopened side of the stud while hanging board and the wire moved closer to the cut opening. Then, the drywallers come to the other side and screw into the cut opening grabbing the wire with the screw and pulling the wire into the screw? I would be glad that a plate was used there…YMMV. But, I agree with Manny. :slight_smile:

I fail to understand what the big deal is with this wire in that wedge cut scab.
The required distance from face of stud for a wire without protection plates is 1-1/4"s. The scab was notched like so because the wiring is already going through a hole in the stud with the receptacle box.

Where do you think it will go? Nowhere.

Move on.

The bored hole is in the original stud, not the scabbed piece that was installed to keep the stud straight after the relief cut. The cable is not going to move. To say a plate is required on the notched scab but not the bored hole is idiotic.

No one would cut a notch that would be deep enough to satisfy the code required setback to run a cable in a structural member. The minimum depth for the cable would be cut to preserve strength and a plate installed. That is why it says in notches.

The bored hole in the original stud will hold the wire in place. It is not going to move.

Not unless the dudes doing the insulation usages it as a step, then it will move.
But, not if it was properly bored.
Put the friggin’ plate on it and let’s move on.
This thread has come to it’s end.

I have no idea what technical experience this Jim Port has or maybe not? He has no profile, none of his previous posts display any more experience or knowledge than any other intelligent Inspector here. Unfortunately what I do know is the NEC is clear that a notch will be plated and so far all this Jim Port would like to do is offer opinions instead of fact.

Is it idiotic because you are wrong in what the NEC states? Or is it idiotic because the NEC actually has a clear requirement for a change? The required protective plate is not called for in the NEC as a reinforcement for anything but instead to protect across the opening (notch) the cable was placed in. The NEC does not differentiate or determine why any notch was made and even infers this in the requirement for a plate across the notched opening.