Definition of enter space

Curious to know what you understand the definition of “enter the crawl space or attic” means? Does this mean you must physically touch all corners of the space?

Give us some context here. Is this a requirement of the State SOP, a request by the Client, other, etc.?

2 Likes

Question relates to both a State SOP requirement and a request by the Client.

What State, and what EXACTLY does their SOP say?

Is the Client complaining that you didn’t enter “as required”?

Give us the whole story. We need full context to better opine on this.

4 Likes

Odd request by a client.

But, if I fit and it was safe, I went to all 4, or more, corners.

6 Likes

You don’t have to “touch anything”. But in my experience, you should disclaim any areas that were not visible. I have a feeling this is where this is going with your client.

6 Likes

This is covered elsewhere in the SOP where safety conditions and confined space exceptions are present.

You state in the report anything that prevents inspection, whether an inspection requirement of the SOP or not.

Something like this:

(5) Required Reporting.
(a) The home inspection report shall include the following:

1. A report on any system or component inspected that, in the opinion of the home
    inspector, is significantly deficient;
  2. A list of any systems or components that were designated for inspection in this
    rule but that were not inspected;
  3. The reason a system or component listed in accordance with part (5)(a)2. was
    not inspected

It’s your call. Just collect supporting photographs etc. to be safe.

4 Likes

General question

General answer :wink:
Bold is mine

You

during an inspection, what does “enter a space” mean?

ChatGPT

“Enter a space” typically means to physically move into and explore a particular area, room, or zone for inspection purposes. For example, if you’re conducting a building inspection, a supervisor might instruct you to “enter a space” to check for compliance, safety issues, or other concerns. It’s a directive to physically move into the specified area and examine it thoroughly.

2 Likes

No, that’s not what it means, in my opinion.

One can “enter” the attic without ever leaving the ladder. There is a difference between an “entry” restriction, and a “traversing” restriction. I almost never have a restriction entering an attic in my area, but I almost always have a traversing restriction.

8 Likes

Thus my question(s)…

1 Like

Thanks Ryan… I agree… its about restrictions

1 Like

Took you long enough (12 posts later)!!

2 Likes

To enter a crawlspace or attic means to go into it.

As far as literally “touching all corners”, no, the home inspection is a “visual” assessment of a home’s condition. Just like we’re not required to walk roofs, we’re not required to walk through insulation to reach all areas of an attic or crawl under or over ductwork in a crawlspace that may cause damage or because of restricted room to inspect all areas of a crawl.

And as home inspectors we are not required to go anywhere that we consider a potential safety hazard to ourselves.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Me too, trying to climb over all the bodies left up there prevents me from traversing!

6 Likes

I made it over 5,000 inspections before I had to pay for drywall repair. It happens.

4 Likes

When I first read the topic, The first thing that popped into my head was…“The opposite of Outer Space…” But then I realized that would be “Inner Space” so I decided that if I stuck any portion of my body through an access, I “entered” that space. :thinking:

1 Like

Hi Vincent.
It looks like you are in East Tennessee, like me.

Our state SOP defines the word ENTER for us. It says:
(i) “Enter” means to go into an area to inspect all visible components;

The way i interpret this is that my body and equipment (camera, light, and any necessary tools) will go into the crawlspace and attic (if I deem it safe to do so) to observe and report on what I find there.

There are times when I will not enter a crawlspace or attic, and I will list the reasons why I did not go in.
valid reasons may include but are not limited to:

• flooding

• space was inaccessible 

• presence of animals 

• any unsafe conditions

unsafe conditions means
“situations that pose a threat of injury to the home inspector, or those situations that require the use of special protective clothing or safety equipment”

8 Likes

No.
Enter means enter; enter could be peeking in from the attic or crawlspace hatch, to physically entering pass the hatch with your complete body, to traversing the entire space.

Physical Limitations impedes much of the assessment. I have taken 20 minutes to take photos of a crawlspace by entering the hatch and remaining on the ground.
Attics are done from the hatch although I might traverse an attic if I have to due to defects.

From InterNACHI SoP. IV. The inspector is not required to:

1. enter the attic or any unfinished spaces that are not readily accessible, or where entry could cause damage or, in the inspector’s opinion, pose a safety hazard.
  2. move, touch or disturb insulation.
  3. move, touch or disturb vapor retarders.
  4. break or otherwise damage the surface finish or weather seal on or around access panels or covers.
  5. identify the composition or R-value of insulation material.
  6. activate thermostatically operated fans.
  7. determine the types of materials used in insulation or wrapping of pipes, ducts, jackets, boilers or wiring.
  8. determine the adequacy of ventilation.
1 Like