Do these windows need to be protected?

Ran across these two enigmas yesterday, the rest of the entire home in both cases had shutters.

1. Window on a patio, should this be protected like the one next to it? Does this qualify as X per the wind mitigation form, or would you mark A?

1. False/decorative window in the peak of a home, behind the window is a false wall inside of the attic. Should this be protected? Does this qualify as X per the wind mitigation form, or would you mark A?

Happy Debating! :smiley:

No debate needed.

Window to the patio does not need anything.

False window if false does not need anything because it is not an opening.

Do they have proof of impact testing on those shutters?

The first window, no, as it doesn’t appear to be part of a living space.
The second one, no, because,if my eyes are correct, I see the wood siding under it so it isn’t a window.

Not wood siding… more of a small closet/boxed in area in the attic.

No proof of testing was provided for shutters, installed in 2003.

That is what I thought. I have seen that type and they almost never have any proof :frowning:

#1 The first glazed window on the upper porch does not since it’s breakage will not result in water intrusion into the dwelling.
#2 The second glazed window (even though it only opens into the attic) must be hurricane protected since if it is broken it will result in water intrusion in the attic and may allow the wind to compromise the roofs structural integrity.

Water intrusion is secondary to pressurization of the structure in all respects. I agree with your assessment of the requirements for coverage. This was intended not as a criticism, a clarification.

This is also what I was thinking after seeing both places.